• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do Chickens Make Good Pets

MissMe

Registered Member
Do chickens really make good pets? I have always thought of chickens as farm animals. Something that lives outside and gives us eggs and meat. However it seems that people are starting to keep chickens as pets! There is a breed of chicken, the Silkie, that apparently is becoming a popular pet! Like how do you house train a chicken? Anyone else think that a chicken can make a good pet?

Interis

Registered Member
Before reading your post, I didn't even imagine chicken could be a potential candidate for home pets. I searched more for this Silkie and they look.. interesting. I don't think they are the types that we can keep at home and cuddle when we're sad or stressed, but maybe I just need more time. It's actually good to get one as it lays eggs for us to eat too.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Can't house break a bird but I use to have a pet chicken. My parents had a bunch of them but one only had one eye and the other chickens picked on him so I would help him out by running them off or picking him up. I think he liked it when I picked him up because he could look down on all the other chickens. He eventually got where he would come to me every time I called his name. If I was sitting he would hop up on my leg.

MissMe

Registered Member
Can't house break a bird but I use to have a pet chicken. My parents had a bunch of them but one only had one eye and the other chickens picked on him so I would help him out by running them off or picking him up. I think he liked it when I picked him up because he could look down on all the other chickens. He eventually got where he would come to me every time I called his name. If I was sitting he would hop up on my leg.
That's a great childhood memory to have. Sounds like maybe they are smarter than I originally thought. I am thinking of maybe getting some chickens to keep in our backyard. Since you can't house break them, they will have to stay outside but I think they may be fun guys to have hanging around.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's a great childhood memory to have. Sounds like maybe they are smarter than I originally thought. I am thinking of maybe getting some chickens to keep in our backyard. Since you can't house break them, they will have to stay outside but I think they may be fun guys to have hanging around.
They can be fun to have around but also work. Have to put them up at night and clean out their house. Still I would like to have a few if I had the time to take care of them. Love fresh eggs but don't expect to peel one easily if you boil them.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Interesting. It is not something I've ever considered and living where I do it isn't feasible.

I've heard people have pigs as pets and they stay indoors...just seems odd to me. But hey, to each it's own.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Interesting. It is not something I've ever considered and living where I do it isn't feasible.

I've heard people have pigs as pets and they stay indoors...just seems odd to me. But hey, to each it's own.
At one time I thought about getting a pot bellied pig as a pet. Went to look at them but changed my mind. Didn't think I would want one in the house or even in my yard because of the rooting.