• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do certain video games cause kids to be violent?

Powerful

Registered Member
Do you believe that violent media, mostly in video games cause children to be violent?

I'm curious to hear what posters think.

CubsMascot

Registered Member
I believe it can be part of the cause yes. Circumstances at home can be a trigger and then a child gets angry without be able to vent that anger. He plays these violen games and sees there is no consequence in the games and wonder if he can do this for real. Then he tries it and finds out different.
But it definitely starts at home or even school.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Honestly, it's a combination of factors. Playing video games can't be the sole factor leading a child to commit acts of violence. It's everything surrounding him: social situation, economic situation, geographical situation, etc. My parents were hesitant to buy us video games when we were kids and it wasn't until I was 10 years old that we got our first Nintendo console.

Overall, it's mostly up to the parents to ensure their children understand the concept and the consequences of violent acts. If they feel the kids won't be up to the task, then don't.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
Violent video games causing more aggression and violent acts by young children?

Well, let's just say that violent video games don't help.

I think it also can cause lack of respect kids have for adults in their lives, such as their parents and teachers.