Do athlete's contracts make you mad?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Millz, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

In this day in age of a struggling economy you still see professional athletes raking in the dough.

Manny Ramirez rejected 25 million dollars for one season...that doesn't go over well with the general public when so many people are being laid off and struggling to make ends meet.

So does this piss you off? There are alot of people, I'm sure, who this pisses off whether the economy sucks or not.

Thoughts?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I think it's a sad reflection on our priorities and the nature of our celebrity culture.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I've never been one of the people that complain about how much money atheletes make. Don't get me wrong I am jealous of them, but if the owners can afford it then why not? That's how I've been taking it since I started watching sports. Do I think they all deserve it? No I dont, but I it doesn't bother me that they make so much money.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Yes, it bothers me. It bothers me that they're getting millions of dollars to play a game, and they're still selfish enough to hold out for more money. It bothers me that in order to pay these salaries, ticket and food prices keep rising every year, making it unaffordable for the average fan to take his family to a game. It bothers me how the athletes spend their millions of dollars, buying more houses, cars, boats, and jewelry than any person could ever need.

5. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I've never liked the fact that they get paid so much. It's the reason I enjoy watching college sports more now then anything.

There's no need for players to even be getting an offer of $25 million for one year, or a $100 million contract.

Major likes this.
  6. m0mmajay1129

m0mmajay1129 Registered Member

Their salary pisses me off to an extent. I don't mind that they make some odd amount of dollars a year. The thing that really pisses me off is that the players deny certain teams because they won't give them more money. It's like yeah, the players are good hence being pro football and such. But I think their ego's are a little large to say I'm a better player then what you are going to pay me... if that makes sense at all. There are two reasons a person should play professional sports, that's for the love of the game, and obviously for the money. When they start making their lives about the money then that just goes to show their priorities aren't right. There are ways to get around not making that much money, live within your means.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

You hit the nail on the head in my book!

I cant stand the fact that Athletes make the money they do. I'm more familiar with the NHL Salary situation than other sports, so using that... to know that Rookies have a minimum salary cap of around 450-600k a season bugs.

I know people who'll never make 500k in their life, and these kids right out of college or even high school nowadays are making it in one season. Its way to much money for a person to get all at once if you ask me. And a large reason show as to why our Economy is so screwed. If the general public is ok with supporting actors and athletes by pumping in money non-stop like we do, it just goes to show how bad our priorities have become.

I also attribute the huge salaries to alot of lost passion in the games. I read this book called "Thunder & Lightening" by Phil Esposito who played in the NHL back in the 60's. He'd say back then how he was so spoiled making 100 dollars a game and that the Vets that played would be pissed 'cause they'd compare how they'd play for minimum living standards just so they could get off the Farm. But He'd go on to say how theres definitely a correlation in the passion those guys had to the game compared to the kids that came in towards the end of his career in the 80's.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Would you be for athletes having a salary cap?

My family and I had this discussion over dinner the other day because of FIFA's (Platini) currently suggesting a salary cap for football players. This would benefit teams that can't afford to pay as much and buy out other's contracts with ridiculous offers. And it's supposed to keep prices from rising too.

True, the news must have been like a slap on other people's faces.

9. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

It's a big time slap in the face for sure...it's a joke really. Manny is that selfish...I guess the other 100 million dollars he's made over the years wasn't enough eh?

I would love a cap on player salaries. It'll never happen in American pro sports I dont think but I'd be all for it. First, all sports need a team cap and then we can talk about players.

10. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I personally believe that if they make that much money that in their contract somewhere they should HAVE to donate money to charity's or to help rebuild houses falling apart or to make life easier for those "normal" humans.