• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do Atheists Hate God?

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I had the same thought coming into this as Ziggy, Do you hate Santa Claus?

As an atheist, I do not hate god. I do not hate religion. I do not hate the religious. It is just that some religious people are more easily tolerable than others.. (and I use tolerable very loosely, as some of the people I hold most dearly to my heart are extremely religious) Just as, I assume, some atheists are more easily tolerable than other atheists.

It all comes down to personality. As we all have witnessed on this forum, people are passionate about different things, and each believing group, and non believing group, will have people who are more radical about their opinions than others. When you have a large denomination of people, there are going to be varying personalities, some you will get along with and some you will not. It seems there can't be a group that can go about without having the few in the bunch that ruin a good name.

I think more often than not, atheists have no feelings toward god what-so-ever. They aren't going to take the time to hate something they don't believe in, and really, they just don't think about him at all unless they are not firm in their atheistic beliefs, which would make them more of an agnostic. I digress..

What I think it often times comes down to, is bad run-ins with people from opposing religious groups that ignite those harsh feelings, not god. Just as many religious people have commented on feeling they have had atheist ideals shoved down their throats, atheists complain of having religious beliefs shoved down theirs. It is like being attacked by a dog, not all dogs are bad, yet you still have a bad taste in your mouth for them, in general, because that one dog struck fear, anger, and mistrust in you. One bad run in can ruin it for either side of the equation and suddenly, in that persons mind, the other group becomes villainized from one encounter.

To be completely honest, I think there is a lot of ignorance coming from both groups, in the form of stereotyping and generalizing, since humans find it so difficult to accept others have differing opinions from our own. Especially when it comes to one group having absolute, definite belief in the existence something and another group having absolute, definite belief that, that something does not exist. With such concrete beliefs, without concrete evidence there are going to be constant butting of heads, and it depends on how a person reacts to the rebuttal of the other on how they are going to view the entire group.

Ziggy

Sup?
Remember that a person's opinion does not equal everyone in the group. If you search YouTube for Atheism or Christianity you will find a plethora of arguments. To say you hate someone because of their religious or political beliefs is ignorant.

I don't agree with some of the things Christianity has been involved in but I don't hate someone because they're Christian.

Merricles

Registered Member
I am a pragmatic athiest. Like some though, I do not like the term 'athiest' as that implies a practice of belief/religion. I have nothing against people who practice religion or believe in a deity. I do not 'hate' god, or whomever someone else would choose to believe in, because I as an athiest do not believe in these beings/powers in order to hate them. I would never push my way of thinking about these things on someone else. I have had several religious conversations, and in fact i tend to encourage others towards their chosen religion or god. For someone to have these beliefs and that sort of faith, it has been proven to have a largely possitive impact on their life. I choose not to believe in these types of supernatural events or characters. I love science. I imagine there are many things in the universe we do not know or cannot explain. Is there a god or are there gods who create and control these things? I couldn't tell ya. I don't believe there are though. Where everything came from, I also couldn't tell ya. Everything began somewhere. Should there be a god or gods, they too would have had to begin somewhere, came from somewhere.

To answer the question in short though, as an athiest who practices or pushes no belief on others, I do not hate your god or gods nor do I judge someone based on their chosen religion.

jackofalltrades

Registered Member
Simply for the purpose of answering the topic question;

Is it not impossible to hate that which you believe does not exist? As defined by the term, Atheists believe such a being does not/can not exist.

As for, "do atheists hate those who believe in other religious values/the values themselves". Well, that's a totally different matter.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I agree that there can be ignorance from both sides, and it's likely that the percentage of atheist that seem aggressive in nature and in pushing their views on others would probably be the same as the aggressively preaching christian types. It's important that those people aren't seen to represent a religion because, for lack of a better word, people like that are just inconsiderate arseholes! ok maybe there was a better word, but just not as satisfying :p

Though as an atheist myself, i don't hate religion. I like the idea of religion. Pretty much every religion in it's base form works to present a good moral code for people to live by, so that people will live together in harmony to promote a well working society. What's wrong with that?

What i do hate are people who use religion to achieve their own personal goals, whether through manipulation or violence in the name of their religion. Unfortunately, this happens a lot. I mean, it's been said that most of the wars in both recent and ancient history have been caused by religion, though i would argue that they've mostly been caused by people using religion. One of the few criticisms i'd have of religion as a concept is that it possibly holds too much power over people, and it's a dangerous tool that can be manipulated by cruel and ambitious people for their own gain.

But again, these people don't represent what the religion represents. They're just, for lack of a more satisfying word, arseholes. So as an atheiest, i don't hate religion. I just hate arseholes! Same as any religious person would! :D

Last edited:

shelgarr

Registered Member
Obviously I'm not saying that "all atheists hate God" but I am saying that a large percentage of them do. You could also interpret this to be simply a hatred of the concept of God.

I appreciate that this lack of generalization was provided. For the most part I've seen that most of us have been careful in this discussion. It goes without saying that not "everyone" will be guilty of hating God.

I do wonder something though. Questioning the existence of God is understandable. But how is the skepticism derived? Is it that people see pain and suffering? Or that their parents turned them off to beleiving? Or watching other organized religious groups acting distastefully? Because if one chooses not to beleive as a reaction to incidences the've witnessed then I can see why there is bitterness toward those that do believe. How many atheists make their decision based on study?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Atheism is just like Christianity and just like Muslim and just like every other religion. There's going to be your zealots that make your religion look bad. You have your pushy atheists that want to take away religion from the religious. They consider it an insult to have it talked about around them or if they have to see it. You have the pushy snobby christians who abhor anything that goes against christianity (meanwhile, they're all sitting in church on sunday with hangovers from saturdays party). You also have those muslims that fly planes into buildings. Every group has they're extremists and it's generally those that everyone sees because they are the most public about their beliefs. Unfortunately the quiet ones who just wanna believe what they believe in peace suffer because of it.

Do atheists hate God? Not by definition, no. Generally they just don't believe in a God. Do some atheists hate god? yah. Do some atheists hate those who believe in God? Yes. It's a reality. The key word is some though, because it's not fair to make sweeping generalizations about atheists, just like its not fair that some of those atheists make sweeping generalizations about christians.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Atheism is just like Christianity and just like Muslim and just like every other religion.
I disagree with this. I know some crazy atheists like to think that what they do is a religion but as an atheist personally I see it as a way of separating myself from all religions, not as just a different type of religion. Isn't that sort of contradictory anyway? To say I don't believe in religion but oh wait, what I do is a religion as well. Not to me, I will never see atheism as a 'religion'.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I disagree with this. I know some crazy atheists like to think that what they do is a religion but as an atheist personally I see it as a way of separating myself from all religions, not as just a different type of religion. Isn't that sort of contradictory anyway? To say I don't believe in religion but oh wait, what I do is a religion as well. Not to me, I will never see atheism as a 'religion'.
I understand where you're coming from, Crouton...what I think that Smelnick may have meant by that (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that it can display similar characteristics to religion in that sometimes people will come together based on their common values or ideas...so while there's no faith-based set of values within atheism, there's still a social group. So his point in considering that was that just like any other group that feels strongly about an opinion, atheism or a religion will both have some members that are really open minded and cool, some members that are pushy about their ideals, etc.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
You know what I mean though. Atheist is just another state of mind that some people attribute to themselves. Religion is just a group of like minded people with like minded thoughts. Atheists are a group of like minded people who have the same ideas. Same with Christians, Muslims etc etc. That's why I class it as a religion