• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Oldschool DK Arcade World Record

dDave

V.I.P.
I remember back when I used to think that I was pretty good at Donkey Kong. I've actually been to level 6 before. This game was sort of hidden inside Donkey Kong 64, look at this one though.

MAME World Record: Donkey Kong [US Set 1] 1,153,000 - YouTube

This guy gets over 1,000,000 points. :shocked: The way he plays the game looks completely foreign to me and it took him a solid 3 hours on one run of this game. He got to level 22 before the game hit a killscreen. That's sheerly impressive.

Anybody that's ever played this game before should appreciate this one.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Huh. It looks like they slightly modified the one for N64, because the level he plays on level 2 is level 4 in N64.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm not going to watch the entire 3 hour video. It was hard enough to watch a few minutes of it. It's just not that exciting of a game. :lol: I've never played the real version of this game (only what we have here in the GF Arcade), but I don't doubt that the video is really impressive.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I watched it here and there and I haven't seen anyone ever play DK like that, either. It seems like he has nearly every barrel move memorized and knows exactly how to maximize points for ever level. I can't imagine how many hours he has put into this game.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It seems like he has nearly every barrel move memorized and knows exactly how to maximize points for ever level.
That's the thing about a lot of the older arcade games. There are no random elements in them and it's all about memorization. I know that in the original Pacman the ghosts' movement was completely predictable, so people figured out and memorized routes that would get them perfect scores. There have been a couple people who memorized all however many hundred levels in the game.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Video Games 3
dDave Video Games 5
dDave Video Games 13
AnitaKnapp Ideas & Support 6
sunrise Video Games 1