• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Dixie Chicks Shut Up And Sing

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I watched this documentary last night and was astounded by it. I really couldn't believe what I saw. I've always like the Dixie Chicks music but I was never a big enough fan to really follow the history of the group and their background etc, so the subject matter of this film was totally new to me.

I honestly can't believe how the girls were treated for saying that they are ashamed of President Bush. Honestly who wouldn't be ashamed of him? All Natalie Maines did was speak her mind and suddenly she is getting threats on her life. That is madness! I always thought America was a country that preached freedom and freedom of speech but according to this documentary that's all a lie.

People make jokes and bad mouth our countries leaders all the time here. It's their own personal opinion on a leader and they are entitled to it. To think that Natalie Maines received death threats, lost half their fan base and millions of dollars of one simple sentence is just insane to me. Freedom of speech my ass.

I've never really thought much of the Dixie Chicks before but after watching this film I now see them as role models, these women are amazing! I highly recommend the film 'Shut Up And Sing' to anyone interested in music, or even to some extend how dangerous it can be to speak out against the Government in the US.

Trailer:

YouTube - ‪SHUT UP AND SING‬‏

dDave

V.I.P.
I've never really thought much of the Dixie Chicks before but after watching this film I now see them as role models, these women are amazing!
Yep they're great role models.

"Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas." -Natalie Maines
Just to make sure we have that quote right. However as Americans they hold the right to not like somebody for what they said, death threats are extreme though for sure though.

And wearing a shirt that says "F.U.T.K." that's real mature.

Oh wait did I agree with you and say that they were good role models? My bad I meant to say that they were NOT good role models.

They're also flaming Liberals but hey I get it, a lot of people see that as good, I definitely don't.

However I do understand that this is America and they do in fact have the right to say whatever they want. I don't think they are good role models though.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
I'm rather interested in seeing this now, even after I shrugged it off a few years ago. I tend to like documentaries at least a couple years after they've been made--it helps the hindsight and historiography that went into making it.

America certainly has its history of infringing the freedom of speech, but I would hate to think that the few egregious examples have forever besmirched the outweighing triumphs that occur on a daily basis.

Those giving death threats to the girls were just ludicrous. I remember, though, how that post-9/11 frenzy infected many level-headed people. I remember what a couple ex-military friends of my family said, when inquired about what they thought we (U.S. troops) should do in the Middle East. "Turn it all to glass and start that civilization over" they said. I was horrified. It was nothing new, though. America had this nasty little thing called the "Espionage Act of 1917" (among others in history) that loopholed an attack on free speech on those who denounce a currently-engaged war. But people freak out--and have done so--as far back as anthropology can take us.

Of course, I have a slanted view as an American citizen. Getting outside the country would help me to look inward. It's not really a lie that the "official" American stance preaches freedom of speech, just that a smattering of jackasses tend to misconstrue good intentions.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yep they're great role models.

Just to make sure we have that quote right. However as Americans they hold the right to not like somebody for what they said, death threats are extreme though for sure though.

And wearing a shirt that says "F.U.T.K." that's real mature.

Oh wait did I agree with you and say that they were good role models? My bad I meant to say that they were NOT good role models.

They're also flaming Liberals but hey I get it, a lot of people see that as good, I definitely don't.

However I do understand that this is America and they do in fact have the right to say whatever they want. I don't think they are good role models though.

I thought the FUTK shirt was hilarious. In fact is was pretty mild in comparison to what they did to them. Compared to photoshopping images of Natalie Maines face next to Osama Bin Laden then the shirt is actually really mature.

Americans do hold the right to not like somebody for what they say (or do) which is exactly what she did. Natalie Maines agreed with the thousands of anti-war protestors out in the streets in London and she had every right to be ashamed of that moron Bush. Yet she got death threats over it? That sounds like something that would happen in North Korea to me, not America. That's why I found this documentary so shocking, and even more importantly, so enlightening.

Last edited: