Divisions

padd

Registered Member
NHL is now divided into 6 divisions, 5 teams each. 1st place clinches home ice even if they have a worse record than the 8th place team (Washington) and Detroit has the cussion of the central divison while Edmonton has to battle all year to only get 90 pts and miss the playoffs because every other team in the northwest is in while detroit's got 100 points by xmas.

the NHL should go back to 4 divions 7-8 teams each

Turbo

Registered Member
i agree that something needs to be done. maybe change the divisions around or something. the fact that the lower teams have a better points record but lose out to a division leader in a really poor division is just crazy.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Didn't they just change the divisions not that long ago? If it were me they'd just cut down the number of teams who make the playoffs. I know the NHL likes having a long tournament but having half the teams make it always made little sense to me.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Can someone please tell me why in the hell Detroit is in the Western Conference, while we're at it?

Now I'm gonna have to stay up late to watch the playoffs, now that we've eliminated Nashville.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Can someone please tell me why in the hell Detroit is in the Western Conference, while we're at it?

Now I'm gonna have to stay up late to watch the playoffs, now that we've eliminated Nashville.
The only logical explanation I can come up with is they wanted to keep the Detroit/St Louis, Detroit/Chicago and Detroit/Colorado rivalries in tact. But that's all I've got on that one...

padd

Registered Member
Didn't they just change the divisions not that long ago?
until the year 2000, it was 4 divisons 7 teams each.. now its 6 divisions where the #1 division team gets guranteed home ice andvantage in the playoffs.. even though washington finished with less points than philly, they still get home ice

shitty deal

also about detroit.. they probably didnt want to neglect the west from original six games..? and even thats fucked up cuz as a habs fan i want to see Wings, but they only visited once in the past 5 years

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The only logical explanation I can come up with is they wanted to keep the Detroit/St Louis, Detroit/Chicago and Detroit/Colorado rivalries in tact. But that's all I've got on that one...
that makes sense, but if that's the case they failed.

I'm with you, Padd, I'd like to see Detroit play Montreal, Toronto, and Boston more often. Fuck Nashville and Columbus (sorry icegoat)

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
that makes sense, but if that's the case they failed.

I'm with you, Padd, I'd like to see Detroit play Montreal, Toronto, and Boston more often. Fuck Nashville and Columbus (sorry icegoat)
Detroit and Nashville have started up a pretty heated rivalry now though havent they?

But in reality Detroit needs to be playing those teams more. I used to love how Toronto played the Blues a bunch a year.