• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Diving In Football

wooly

I am the woolrus
Diving is undoubtedly a big part of football at the moment, and pretty much every week there's at least one player making a meal of a challenge, or just throwing themselves down with absolutely no contact, sometimes with result changing consequences. I guess the two most common opposite stances on it are:

1. It's become part of the game and is now just a skillful strategy that intelligent players use to win matches

2. It's ruining the game and as much as possible should be done to stamp it out, by whatever means necessary.

Which side of the fence do you stand on? What's your overall opinion on diving in football?

Personally I think it's something that could easily be cut out if players started getting suspensions after matches for diving, the same way that they do for violent behaviour. If a player is caught elbowing someone in the face and the referee misses it, he'll probably get a three match ban after the match. I think a similar method should be brought in for diving. It's not even a matter of having to bring in new technology, it's already there, and i think it would cut it out of the game completely.

BigBob

Registered Member
I'm one of the "It's ruining the game"-type of people. I don't know how it is for soccer, which it seems like it always goes for the diving player then against, but in Hockey.. if a player gets caught diving, it's an automatic penalty.

Definitely something soccer should look into.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've never been into the sport, but diving makes it look pathetic and is definitely one of the reasons I'm not the slightest bit interested. I hate guys that take dives in any sport in sad attempts to draw penalties for the opponent. To me, it's such a stupid, childish play that makes the sport look like a big game of "who's the better faker".

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
Well, for me, it's a combination of both of your sentences. I really hate it and it's stupid, but unfortunately it's become a part of the game. I think it makes the sport look bad, as I consider it cheating and cheating is bad in any game. So all this does is tell people that in this sport, cheating is allowed and welcomed.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Well after watching Match of the Day last night, Ashley Young has highlighted this problem for the second time in a week!

I think it would have been easy to punish him after his dive against QPR last week, and if he had been punished (if he was suspended for example) then he wouldn't have been able to steal another goal for Man Utd yesterday. But the fact that he did it two weeks in a row, and got away with it, with no repercussions does nothing to deter people from diving.

I can't imagine what a negative influence it is on kids playing the game, that one of the most popular english footballers in the premier league is such a 'successful' cheat.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Ashley Young was in contact with the other player, but yes I do admit that the fall was exaggerated but it's not a dive.

wooly

I am the woolrus
It was as blatant a dive as you could get!! I mean: 1. It can still be a dive even if there's contact but regardless, 2. Ashley Young was already falling when his left foot made the contact, the foot that he was obviously dragging along the ground specifically so it would hit Ciaran Clark's foot.

I'm just gonna hazard a guess that if it was a player for any other team, you'd be labelling it as a dive! :p Which it was. 100%.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Nothing I can do about it now, is there? A dive or not a dive, there has been bigger dives over the years especially Drogba's dive this morning against Barcelona?

What did you think of that?

Bahamut

Registered Member
Football is my favorite sport and I can't believe players ruin it with these dives, they get paid what would take us a couple of years to make in just one week and they ruin the game.

Ronaldo is the worst player for this, refs need to up their game.... They should be able to tell a dive from an actual foul.

Another option to eliminate this from the game
Would be to bring in a video referee which I've always thought works and helps the right desicion to be made.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
penny4URthoughts Breaking News 2
idisrsly Outdoors 2
Smelnick Hockey 4
S Outdoors 3
leomay General Discussion 7