Disturbing experiences . . . the 'Otaku'

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Okay, so, have you ever met these creepy "superfans" known as the Otaku? Anime nerds that are so deep into the trend that they just flat out frighten you?

There was a kid in my high school that was so immersed in Japanese cartoons that he learned a small amount of Japanese and claimed he could barely speak English. He also dressed as Naruto several days of the year, which didn't help his popularity to say the least. He also tried doing a book report on a manga, which was another sad scene. It didn't help that he smelled like ass, either.

How about you? Especially if you've been to a convention, what kind of weirdos have you met?

Kyo_Muramasa

Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n
Do u mean their website too? Yeah those are the anime fanatics ppl who spend all their money making books of artwork and such and sometimes can barely keep the site up.

I have meet a person that much into anime yet, and by the way ur saying it, I don't think I want to. I have a friend though that has a Kimono and a Hiate(spelt-wrong) for the Leaf Village from Naruto. I like anime but I don't let it take over my life >>; I've been thinking about going to a convention by they look like they always have a State's population as big as half of New York there, I can't enjoy something that big.

Hey Merc did u ever try talking to that person?

Iris

rainbow 11!
Pfft! Those are the obsessed fans. Not all otaku are like that. My friend Tai is and he isn't crazy or dresses up like that. Not unless it's for ao convention.

Then that's just fun. ^^

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Pfft! Those are the obsessed fans. Not all otaku are like that. My friend Tai is and he isn't crazy or dresses up like that. Not unless it's for ao convention.

Then that's just fun. ^^
The phrase otaku has become a slang for people who are obsessed though, so your friend can't be an otaku unless he is like that.

Yes Kyo, I did talk with him, quite a lot until he went uber-anime-crazed. He wasn't asian (I realized I never said that), he was white, yet claimed to be Japanese. It was amusing in a sad sort of way.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I don't think I've met one quite like the one Merc described. I did meet one guy who was like 27 who seemed like he still lived with his mom shopping for manga. He was all talking about the artists, plot, etc. and trying to pronounce proper Japanese names/phrases. He was like 125% white as whipped cream. Not cool....not cool.:no:

Kyo_Muramasa

Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n
Lmao oxy, I gotta put that in my sig^^;

I though while I was shopping for manga got stuck with two nerds who happened to walk on the same isle talk about Manga. I mean they just wouldn't shut up! They gave me weird looks as if they didn't know why I was even on the isle ><; I mean I wouldn't of mind if it wasn't the fact that they talked about the manga, said alittle about the artwork, and to top it off they went into so much detail about the artist and how he/she was connected to other artists who made this and that manga was Maddning! I don't want to know about so much background history of the artist and such. Who says u gotta own over 100 books to be a true anime/manga lover?!

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
never ran into someone like that. Infact, I hardly know personally any anime fans though I got some of my roomates to like it when they watch some dvds I had with me.

Most of the people I know who like anime/manga do not brag about it I think of all the people I know Im probably the one whose most into.

And no I am not dressed as InuYasha right now. Im dressed as Ichigo.:lol:

Iris

rainbow 11!
The phrase otaku has become a slang for people who are obsessed though, so your friend can't be an otaku unless he is like that.

Yes Kyo, I did talk with him, quite a lot until he went uber-anime-crazed. He wasn't asian (I realized I never said that), he was white, yet claimed to be Japanese. It was amusing in a sad sort of way.

There are otaku... and there are the crazy psychos that think anime is the GREATEST thing on this world, like your 'friend.' There is a line in there between the two. It's between obsessed, like a hobby, and insane-omfg-leave-me-alone-you-crazy-ass-bitch.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I've never met anyone like that...although i'm sure a friend of mine is coming close...

Anyway, i do enjoy anime and manga, i think Japanese language is interesting and hell i was thinking of cosplaying at the next tokyopop convention, but i don't consider myself an Otaku, just weird.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I co-founded the anime club at my school, and we have some pretty die-hard anime fans (one's hopelessly in love with Miyazaki.) but nothing that are like otakus.

Once friend did tell me of the time he was at CES (I think) and there was a 35 year old bragging about his ability in some Naruto fighting game. Needless to say, my friend and the guy that was with him beat him without taking any damage.