• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Distancing From Social Media

Shwa

V.I.P.
So last Tuesday (the 16th), I decided to take a small hiatus from major social media platforms, mostly Facebook and Twitter. The idea came to me when I was listening to the Audio book Buddhist Boot Camp (no not a Buddhist, but a good listen/ready for sure!), and honestly a lot of negativity is drowning. Not just from the current social climate as it is today, but just always being overloaded with information and staying in "the know" with what I consider mindless rhetoric. To be honest, it was weird for a while, deleting the apps from my phone and my fingers still instinctively went to press on the empty space, but after a couple days my motor reflex' started to calm down. Having calmed down the sensation of going to those apps, I've noticed myself becoming more clear in mind and just more thoughtful with the free time.

Granted, this is just a personal exploration for me. I still have apps like Reddit and Instagram, mostly for reading and sharing photos because I feel like they don't require as much as mental attention to always respond or stay focused on for long periods of time. Plus, I work 18-hour days in itself, so my free time is limited during the week and on the weekends I have home maintenance and personal recharging (....sleep), to catch up on.

I'm only on my second week, and honestly, not bad of a feeling. I'm sure once my schedule has lessened from hectic to manageable again I'll return to the apps, but in the meantime, the time away hasn't been negative one bit. Even if it's not for a long period of time if you choose to do this, it's quite rewarding in its own right.

~Shwa

P.S
For those who have Audiable, I'd recommend the book as mentioned above, nothing preachy or scripture heavy. Quite the opposite, just an insight on clearing the bad juju from your life in small yet subtle ways, I found it mentally recharging and invigorating!

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
I’m only on because it helps me keep up with the culture (absurd as it has become.) social media hasn’t been fun in years.

It’s gone noticeably downhill in the last couple months and now all I ever see is people spewing hate, division, and morally abhorrent ideology and it’s all in the name of “justice” as they call it.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I’m only on because it helps me keep up with the culture (absurd as it has become.) social media hasn’t been fun in years.

It’s gone noticeably downhill in the last couple months and now all I ever see is people spewing hate, division, and morally abhorrent ideology and it’s all in the name of “justice” as they call it.
It's a two-part for me:
1. I'm tired of seeing friends at each other's throats for difference of opinion, or giving an opinion is automatically deemed as the "wrong" and they're labeled such horrible things when in person the accusing party know's that not to be true. A lot of ugly has been show on both sides all around, more than I care to bear witness.

2. I just spend too much time mindlessly viewing videos, photos, memes, etc that just take up time when I could be doing something much more productive with my time.

Since deleting the apps, I've been able to tend to my house and garden more, spend more time with the doggo's and husband outside of work, and just take care of things I've been putting off without being consumed by constant stimulation of updates and new posts/tweets. Distancing myself from the hustle and bustle of constant news and posts definitely help, why I enjoy being back on PM and actually using Reddit is because it brings me back to the old days of posting and exchanging ideas and what not via 'post and wait' replies. I always thought I was in control of my usage of social media, turns out the be quite the opposite.

~Shwa