• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Disrespectful towards themselves?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
YouTube - American Idol - Don't Cha

I never understood why anyone would be dumb enough to come here and sing that way.
Don't misunderstand me! It's funny to watch it the first time but the second time I always wonder if I'd act like they're acting now and I call this lack of self-respect.

I could be like this JUST FOR FUN when joking with my friends....
...But these guys think they have talent and I wonder how-come they don't understand how ridiculous they become. I wouldn't allow my son/daughter to participate if they were like this.
I would feel ashamed.
I don't laugh with them but I laugh AT them.

What do you think?

Dekzper

Registered Member
Huh!? :sick: Karaoke? Bad day? Did that really happen? :-o If they really did that, they def needa stop! :nod: Do they work at Guantanamo Bay?

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
...But these guys think they have talent and I wonder how-come they don't understand how ridiculous they become. I wouldn't allow my son/daughter to participate if they were like this.
I would feel ashamed.
I don't laugh with them but I laugh AT them.

What do you think?
Here's what I think, and feel free to crap all over my theory if you'd like, but we live in a society where some people tell their children they're talented even if they aren't. These people are terrified of telling their kids about failure. Then they find out the hard way (i.e. American Idol) Its if a kid comes in last place, some parents tend to say "oh, thats okay; you were the last winner." Of course, I could be wrong, but that's just the way I see it. I'm just sayin...

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Like Make a Wish Foundation. Some of those kids look like they are in Music Therapy and their sponsors make arrangements for their lives to improve. They will have no way of knowing that they are being used for entertainment purposes because they have people around them who shelter them from that. Win for AI and win for Music Therapy.

The only reason that William Hung got a career out of it was because he wasn't a Music Therapy subject. But he used the same system all on his own, only without support.

So is it wrong to laugh at retards? Sorry for using the r word. ;)
Apparently not if they are willing to go on stage and perform.
I love that comedian with Carabral Palsy who makes fun of himself.
I can't watch the Special Olympics though.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
So is it wrong to laugh at retards? Sorry for using the r word. ;)
Apparently not if they are willing to go on stage and perform.
I don't see anything wrong if I laugh at them when they are flat out untalented.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
I don't see anything wrong if I laugh at them when they are flat out untalented.
But there's that fine line of ethics. Do we put people on stage like American Idol is doing to make fun of them? But since they are willing participants is it wrong?
Are we making fun of them or instead feeling sympathy for them because they are hopeless? Which is worse?

If a (insert r word here) knows he's a (insert r word here) and chooses to be a class clown should we not laugh?

What is (insert r word here) dignity all about? It's about time that we need a clear set of rules!

Dabs

Registered Member
You retard.
You're slower than me...you hinder everyone around you....you cause so many delays.......of course I'm going to laugh at you! :lol:
(I am of course, messing around)
But if a retarded, or slow person, knows they are that way, and makes fun of themselves, sure....I will laugh with them too!

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
But there's that fine line of ethics. Do we put people on stage like American Idol is doing to make fun of them?!
American Idol is for those who have some talent and NOT for those who have ZERO talent.
We all should know where we stand.
You can't go there to sing/dance because you know you are not talented for that, (though it could be your hobby.)
You need to be able to make a self-criticism and realize that with a zero talent you could be laughed at/mocked.

I mean..don't they look at themselves in the mirror?
If they are careless in the first place, why would I care?

Last edited:

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Ok, so I think we agree. There are some plain untalented people who have been built up to think they are talented. There are some bold retards who want to be entertaining. There are some ambitious people who want 15 minutes of fame. And American Idol gives them a platform. So we can react anyway we want to.

50 years ago the Three Stooges were thought of as weird. just sayin.
I don't think they used the word "hilarious" back then.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
So they're not talented. At least they stuck their neck out and gave something they wanted to do a shot. No need to hate on them.

Last edited: