• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Disowning family, Potential Repercussions?

jessi646

Registered Member
I am currently 18 and college bound.
I receive financial aid, significant if $5.5k is anything to go by, due to FAFSA (Family is lower class).

As soon as I enter college, I wish to be completely independent and cut-off from any family contact. Couldn't disowning (disinheriting) the family be a solution? I suppose there's avoidance, but I can hardly believe I can do that considering that I'll be living in a college just 15 minutes away from where they live.

Couldn't one file a lawsuit to cut off with the family? Technically, I should be independent since I'm 18, but if I were to cut off relations wouldn't that all the more mean I'm independent of them?

Of course, they'll be paying my car insurance, health insurance (with a bunch of benefits, I might add), as well as other costs. How can I switch myself out of those plans and create my own plans?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't understand. Would you be doing this for financial reasons, or because you want to cut yourself off from them?

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
Well, you can't fill out your own FAFSA until you are the age of 25 (It might be 24, but I believe 25). So, if you disown your family I don't think they would give you their tax information for your FAFSA in which case you would be expected to pay out of pocket for school, unless you have been emancipated from your legal gaurdians and even that leaves grey area.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
That had been my experience at least because my ex wanted to go back to school, but would have needed financial aid and we had to battle his parents for their information because he was still considered a dependent of them because of his age.

Just a brief view of the FAQ on FAFSA.gov still shows because of your age that you require their information there are exceptions: Will I need my parents’ information?

That is the list of exceptions, if you can answer yes to any of those, then you do not need your parents for your FAFSA.

Brandon22

Registered Member
they are paying for your insurance and health benefits and you want that to stop? I assume you live in the states..and you have to pay for health care, how are you going to do that if you are in school....planning on getting a really good part time job?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

If you're disowning your family, that basically means that you hate them and want them out of your life forever.

It doesn't sound like you're particularly antagonistic to your family. You've hinted at financial reasons to want to be separate, but you've also indicated that there are far more financial reasons to be a part of the family.

I have a friend who was disowned by her family because her parents are overboard control freaks. She had issues with FAFSA (although I believe she was able to get it resolved). Also, even though there were times when she was glad they'd disowned her so she could be away from their craziness, it caused her a heartache and grief as well.

Brandon22

Registered Member
so what exactly did they do to you that you don't love your parents...It would have to be pretty bad IMO to stop loving ones parents.

Starfire86

Registered Member
Dude, if money is your only issue with them...suck it up. Trust me, living on your own can get pretty hard, especially if you're trying to fully support yourself and go to school at the same time. At least your parents are willing to contribute to your expenses. I think it's kind of fair that they want some of the scholarship money. You're still their child, but you're also an adult. If you can contribute to the expenses somehow, then you should.

Brandon22

Registered Member
Dude, if money is your only issue with them...suck it up. Trust me, living on your own can get pretty hard, especially if you're trying to fully support yourself and go to school at the same time. At least your parents are willing to contribute to your expenses. I think it's kind of fair that they want some of the scholarship money. You're still their child, but you're also an adult. If you can contribute to the expenses somehow, then you should.
I agree this seems awful weird to me....I don't even know what to say about this anymore

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I am curious to know as well why you wish to disown your family.

I am independent from my family, there was abuse, drinking and other reasons why, but it sounds to me like maybe this is not how it was for you, they cared enough to give you an opportunity to advance to college, so I find it difficult to understand why you would want this.