Disney Stock & New Pirates Movie

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Mirage, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

[SYMBOL]DIS[/SYMBOL]

How do you think the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie will effect Disney's stock? They aer just over $30 right now at $30.02. I wouldn't be surprised if it went up over $31 by next Friday. The movie is almost guaranteed to do well and their name will be showing up all over the place. The movie stands to make a LOT of money.

Obviously their stock is very saturated with thousands upon thousands of things effecting it, but the summer movie season in 2003 saw their stock rise. Since then it hasn't done great in the summer though. Take for example last summer. Their stock went down since May and didn't make a change in pace until October.

It's been on the rise since and I expect to see it continue at least until the end of July. It's a hard one to predict, and not one that is discussed as much as Google and the other major players, but it will be interesting to see how my predictions play out. :)

So what do you think about [SYMBOL]DIS[/SYMBOL] ?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, regardless of the movie breaking record after record and making more money faster than any other movie EVER, Disney stock hasn't exactly changed. It's stayed in the same ballpark, and actually has dropped a bit since.

Here is an interesting read: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060723/box_office.html?.v=5

Apparently Pirates 2 has made more money in 17 days ($321.7 million) than the first movie made in it's entire 6 month run. That's what I call a sound investment on Disney's part. I wonder if this movie could actually hit the billion dollar mark? It's already a third there and the first month isn't even over... I don't think it will make it all the way, but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least hit around $600 million. We will see. :)