• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Disney Movie Paradox: Dead Parents = Big Bucks?

Shwa

V.I.P.
So I was having a discussion with a friend earlier today, and we came onto the topic of Disney movies. We were talking about them and which ones made us cry, but then we realized....there are no mother's or actual couple parents together and alive in 95% of the movies. Here's what I mean, and if I'm missing something please add on:

Fox and the Hound: No Parents for either animal.
Little Mermaid: No Mother
Snow White: No Mother or Father
Lion King: Father Dies, Mother lives
The Great Mouse Detective: No Mother for the little girl, only father.
Sword and the Stone: No Parents
Rescuer's Down Under: No parents in either movie.
Aladdin: No parents for Aladdin (except in third film, only father though) and no mother for Jasmine.
Beauty and the Beast: Only Father of the Belle
The Aristocrats: No Dad Cat
Dumbo: No Parents
Pinocchio: Only Father
Robin Hood: No Parents
The Jungle Book: No Parents
Ducktales: Only Uncle Scrooge
Bambi: Mother Dies, no father.
Cinderella: No Parents
Oliver and Company: No Parents
Pochahontas: No Mother
Hunchback of Notre Dame: Mother Dies, father not mentioned.
Mulan: No Mother
Exhalibur: Father killed, mother alive.
Tarzan: Parents Killed
Emperor's New Groove: No Parents
Atlantis: Parents Dead
Lilo and Stitch: Parents Gone, older sister is only guardian.
Brother Bear: No Parents
Toy Story Series: Just the Mom, no Dad.
Meet The Robinsons: Mother abandoned child.
Finding Nemo: Mother dies
A Goofy Movie: No Mother
Pete's Dragon: Only Mom is seen, No dad.

Now then, with this list, let's compare to movies that have both parents alive and well, or some variation to that:

101 Dalmations: Both Alive
Peter Pan: Parent's went out for the evening while peter took them to Neverland.
Alice In Wonderland: No Mention of alive or deceased, but presumed alive.
Sleeping Beauty: Both Parents Alive
Lady and the Tramp: They become parents eventually
Hercules: Two Sets of parents, Godly and Human

As you can see, there's a larger list of movies where one or both parents are deceased. But does that somehow grab the attention of the viewer, maybe some kind of relation to having lost someone close to them and the different ways they take the loss for the good or the bad. Mostly for Disney, it's for the good.

But no matter what the scenario is, whether having parents or not, they do make a killing in the box office by going to families and children to view the stories and captivate their emotions. It's like the most clever scheme ever!

But knowing this, doesn't this kind of dumbfound you into researching it?

Thought?

~Shwa

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would just like to point out that Dumbo's mother is definitely in the film. She is a big part of the story too. Been a while since you've seen that one eh? :lol: (No father though)

I think you are going a little overboard on the "no parents" category though. "The Emperor's New Groove"? I think "no parents" are more important to the plot in something like "The Jungle Book", but throwing "The Emperor's New Groove" in that same category is like throwing "The Matrix" in the no parents category. If it's not even slightly important to the story (they are grownups after all) then it's probably not fair to include it in that category. Just saying.

But yeah, Disney does seem to thrive off the broken family plots.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I would just like to point out that Dumbo's mother is definitely in the film. She is a big part of the story too. Been a while since you've seen that one eh? :lol: (No father though)

I think you are going a little overboard on the "no parents" category though. "The Emperor's New Groove"? I think "no parents" are more important to the plot in something like "The Jungle Book", but throwing "The Emperor's New Groove" in that same category is like throwing "The Matrix" in the no parents category. If it's not even slightly important to the story (they are grownups after all) then it's probably not fair to include it in that category. Just saying.

But yeah, Disney does seem to thrive off the broken family plots.
It has been a while since I've seen that movie, I forgot in the end he finally catches up with his mother on the train and the movie ends.

With the "Emperor's New Groove", he still seemed to be a kid when the movie started, so I was just going off of that. But it seemed like Pacha and his wife were more of the parental figures in that movie, also in the sequel "Kronk's New Groove". Now looking, I can see that little error.

But as you can see, the majority of Disney movies are based on broken family plots as you've stated, just didn't realize this until not too long ago. Kind of interesting when you think about it.

~Shwa

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Also, I swear Bambi's father is in the film. He appears at least twice, once to tell mother and son to run, and a second time right after mother's shot to tell him so.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm pretty sure both of Mulan's parents are alive and well in the movie.

That is a good point, though. Some of them are because they're based on stories where something happened to the parents (like Cinderella - the original story had that, so they kept it). But I think a lot of them, they deliberately did it to get people more emotional, so they'd relate to the characters more. And sometimes it specifically is important to the plot.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Also, I swear Bambi's father is in the film. He appears at least twice, once to tell mother and son to run, and a second time right after mother's shot to tell him so.
Yeah I was going to say, Bambis father is in the film.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That's interesting. They probably do it because it's easier for people to care about a character who is on its own.

Manored

Registered Member
I dont think its always for the emotional appeal, id say sometimes its just to keep things simple. In certain stories the parents just wouldnt be relevant, so they are written off as dead or never mentioned to simplify matters. In some other stories, the writers have a purpose for a parental figure being present, but there is usually no need for both parents, story-wise, so they write one off.

Oh, yes, by the way, I think the word you wanted to use at the title was paradigm, not paradox. Paradox is a logical contradiction, paradigm is a... hard to define, an... "idea".

Last edited by a moderator: