• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Disney buys Marvel for $4 billion, Mickey fears backlash from The Hulk

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Disney to buy Marvel for $4 billion - Aug. 31, 2009

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Walt Disney Co. announced Monday that it has agreed to purchase comic book and action hero company Marvel Entertainment for about $4 billion.

If Marvel shareholders approve the deal, they would receive $30 per share in cash and 0.745 shares of Disney for each share of Marvel that they hold. The deal is valued at $50 per Marvel share, more than a 29% premium, based on Friday's closing price.

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," said Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger, in a statement.
Strange but hey, we'll just have to see if this turns out as horrible as it sounds.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is very interesting, I'm surprised that Walt Disney did actually buy Marvel. Personally I believe it can do wonders and it's going to turn out great. But that's my personal opinion.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
If Disney buying Marvel means that they'll fire Brian Bendis and Mark Millar maybe I'll start buying Marvel Comics again.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It can't really be that bad. I mean, right off the top of my head I think we can toss out Cinderella appearing in The Incredible Hulk. Anybody who is worried about the comics being "kiddied down" just isn't thinking straight. Disney isn't out to ruin Marvel comics. In fact they are more likely interested in Marvel for the movie rights. After the Pirates of the Caribbean movies I think it's also safe to say that any future Marvel movies won't be kiddied down either. Now... whether or not the plots are ruined to milk money out of kids buying toys is yet to be said I suppose.. (i.e. POC 2&3)

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Yeah I can see this leading to even bigger movie production and success for Marvel. Like others, I picture Disney keeping their paws out of Marvel Comic Books.

Italiano

Film Elitist
Just what we need, more media-trolling executives to launch off more cheap and watered down movies based off of marvels character library.

I cannot quite say what I think this will do to their comic line up or artistic savviness but it's not hard for me to imagine the higher ups at Disney wanting to restrict or censor certain material. Though it will most likely not be as direct as that I'm sure their influence will leak through somehow.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think the purchase is fine with me as long as Disney doesnt try to get in the Mix of the Marvel Comics themselves. Its unfortunate but I just recently got back into Marvel after the horrible run of "The Ultimates" which IMO ruined the Marvel Comic Genre by trying to splice a blasphemy of Anime into the already established Superhero Style of Art.

I've noticed some of the newer Disney Movies that have been released also have that disgraceful blend of Anime that has thrashed the style of the old Disney (think Disney Vault Movies).... Ponyo being the most recent to adopt the Anime atrocity.

All I'm saying is, if Disney Execs stick their nose in the Marvel world, where it doesnt belong, I will be absolutely done with comics. It took alot to convince me to come back.... and if I as a Marvel Fan am betrayed yet again... ugh. I'll do everything I can to badmouth Marvel at every opportunity I get. As they say, a Pleased Customer may tell one or two others, but a Disgruntled Customer will spread the word like a plague.... and I plan to do exactly that if what I foresee actually happens.

Italiano

Film Elitist
All I'm saying is, if Disney Execs stick their nose in the Marvel world, where it doesnt belong, I will be absolutely done with comics. It took alot to convince me to come back.... and if I as a Marvel Fan am betrayed yet again... ugh. I'll do everything I can to badmouth Marvel at every opportunity I get. As they say, a Pleased Customer may tell one or two others, but a Disgruntled Customer will spread the word like a plague.... and I plan to do exactly that if what I foresee actually happens.
Notion seconded but more for their movies and filmography. If Disney interferes with any of Marvel's artistic integrity (which has been slipping in the first place in my opinion) then there shall be mighty Hell to pay.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm not worried about it yet.

Disney boss Bob Iger told CNBC that the acquisition was a way to attract more boys. Iger said Disney would not rebrand the Marvel characters as Disney ones, but would find opportunities to mine Marvel characters that are not well known.
In an effort to calm down the fanboys and Twitterers out there that wasted no time in freaking out over the news, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada tweeted, "Everybody take a deep breath, all your favorite comics remain unchanged and Tom Brevoort remains grouchy." That ought to calm everyone down a little.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not worried about it yet.
Exactly. Those quotes you posted pretty much sum up what I kind of already assumed. Disney doesn't have a moral agenda here to change Marvel comics. Mostly this move seems to be based on the fact that Disney saw a money making opportunity and took it. I doubt we'll see any changes at Marvel. They are doing things right and they already have their own management team in place. Until Disney fires the Marvel management and puts new people in place I think there's nothing to worry about here.