• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dismal job hunting

wazupdoc

Registered Member
I don't know about anyone else but I'm having a hell of a time on the job hunting scene in NYC. I'm a graphic designer by trade and have sent resume after resume for positions I am qualified for - in some cases perfectly so - only to hear nothing in response. I keep reading about how there's a labor shortage and there's more work than there are qualified candidates and yet, somehow, I am still unemployed. If anyone's got any secrets I'd love to be let in on them.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I know what you mean. I have been searching for work in Nebraska for almost 6 months. I find jobs that I am qualified for and apply, only to have them not reply or tell me that they are not interested, or I am not qualified even though I am way over-qualified.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hey Doc,

What kind of graphic design do you do? I might have a few small projects for you depending on what you do. Shoot me an email or a PM and we can talk more. :)

mamab

Registered Member
Have you tried the post-your-resume-online places like Monster.com? I hear they do a decent job of helping people find jobs, even though I'm not in the market myself and have never used them. I know some people that have, though, and they were pleased with the outcome.

taiarain

Registered Member
The job market's tight around me as well. We've had neighbors get laid off only to end up at a video chain while they struggled to find work in their field. In a lot of ways, makes me glad I'm self-employed.

Taggart

Registered Member
I haven't connected with a job there, but have you tried craigslist?

I work in the film industry in Canada, and there are plenty of challenges to that at the present time.

I know people who try to supplement daily film work by working for caterers. In some cases, they obviously risk being unavailable to their agents the day of the catering gig, and they may be so busy on the gig that they can't answer their cell phones to take a call for future film work.

Best of luck to us all in our search for employment.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
There is a lot of film work currently booming in Canada. Are you by BC by chance? That's where I noticed a lot of work coming up lately.

I don't live in Canada but I also enjoy pursuing "entertainment" related jobs and have worked with independent films and just recently started looking for such jobs again after getting settled in after moving to Colorado. Acting certainly isn't for everybody though. Glad to see somebody else here is into it though! :D

mamab

Registered Member
Someone mentioned craigslist.com - A friend of mine has gotten several freelance writing jobs from there. I'm sure I've seen graphic designers needed, as well. Of course, you'll want to start in your area. However, don't limit yourself. There may be a chance that they'll let you do the work at home and send it to them. Best of luck in finding something. :)

sarahlorrain

I too would try craigslist, I see graphic design jobs there all the time - work from home ones too! try putting this:
"graphic design" site:craigslist.org 2007-02-20
in google and see what it pulls up, if it doesn't pull up anything, then change the date to yesterday and so on.

Taggart

Registered Member
There is a lot of film work currently booming in Canada. Are you by BC by chance? That's where I noticed a lot of work coming up lately.
I'm in Toronto. We're just getting over the first ACTRA strike in its history, and one of the studio properties shut down as another seems to be building a new complex.

The good news is that shows are starting to sign up for later in the year, including Hulk 2. Last year we had Hairspray, Jumper and Breach among others.