• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Disease Spreads Across the Caribbean to the Americas

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A painful new dengue-like virus spreading across the Caribbean and could be hitting the United States soon.

'Contorted With Pain' Disease Spreads Across the Caribbean to the Americas
This is a mosquito born virus and cases have already been reported in the US. These people became infected while in the Caribbean but I doubt it takes too long for it to be common in the US. While this disease isn't fatal it can cause extreme pain. Might be time to break out the mosquito repellant.

No wonder mosquitoes kill more people than any other animal they seem to spread so many diseases. Wish they could be wiped out.

Thoughts?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Thats really scary! Invest in Off and bug zappers cuz they will be selling a lot of that. I only hope they dont fly this far inland cuz that would really (pun warning) bite!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This disease has made it to Rhode Island along with other states. So far its just people that have traveled to the Caribbean. Which means it won't be long before our mosquitoes carry this disease. So be careful this summer and wear the mosquito repellent. I wouldn't be surprised by the end of the summer it shows up into just about every state.

The state of Rhode Island announced Saturday that it has two confirmed cases of the mosquito-borne disease chikungunya, which has been spreading rapidly in the Caribbean.

Rhode Island reports two new cases of nasty, mosquito-borne Caribbean virus

Last edited:

alexsharpe333

This is a mosquito born virus and cases have already been reported in the US. These people became infected while in the Caribbean but I doubt it takes too long for it to be common in the US. While this disease isn't fatal it can cause extreme pain. Might be time to break out the mosquito repellant.

No wonder mosquitoes kill more people than any other animal they seem to spread so many diseases. Wish they could be wiped out.

Thoughts?

It has hit America, check out the link

Deadly mosquito-borne viruses sweep Florida as 24 ill with dengue fever and 18 contract chikungunya | Mail Online

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Even if people contracted this in other countries mosquitoes will bite these infected people here and before long it will be in our mosquito population putting us all at risk.

From your link.

Two mosquito-borne diseases - dengue fever and chikungunya - are posing a serious threat to Florida and residents should take steps to control mosquito populations to try to limit the danger, a leading health expert said on Wednesday.
Dengue fever can be life threatening.

Dengue fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dDave

V.I.P.
Mosquitoes give viruses when they bite people and pick up any viruses the person they bite may be carrying. It's no wonder they spread disease so quickly. They directly access the bloodstream while 99% of other bugs/animals don't (I'm also thinking of dogs and rabies being similar with the way the infection is transmitted with the biting)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
People need to keep any water that collects in cans, tires or whatever dumped after it rains or poke holes in it. Between Nile Virus and now this it could save your life.

We recently were trying to clean up some property that my son just purchased. We discovered a big trash can sitting by the shed full of water and mosquito larvae, must of been thousands. We dumped it, may of been our source of mosquitoes. We have been seeing a few. I wish people would watch stuff like that it would help tremendously.