Discus

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Dragon, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I have been in the aquarium hobby for many years now and took some time away from it awhile and now I am back into it. These are my discus fish. I acquired them this past Sunday. They are leopard snakeskins to be exact and one is male and the other one is female. Yesterday, I went out and bought some pvc pipes and put them in the tank. I came home from dinner and saw that they laid eggs on the pvc pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tending to the eggs
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i've always wondered if fishes get bored spending a good amount of their life in a limited aquarium ....
    i'd never like to be a fish!

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I like fish. We have a pond and an aquarium because my dad used to be really interested in them when he had more free time. I remember my first 2 goldfish, they were called Sonic and Tails. Tails jumped out of the bowl one day and my brother had to pick him up and chuck him back in :lol:

Anyway, those fish are very pretty! Laying eggs is teh exciting.
    Is there a visible difference between the male and the female or you were just told that when they were sold to you?

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I need to show Kim this thread.... A while back she was breeding Bettas.

Real crazy shit how they do it to, the Male squeezes the hell out of the female, her eggs pop out and he lets go then sucks the eggs in his mouth... swims up to the top and puts them in the Bubble Nest. Check it out:

YouTube - Halfmoon male betta spwaning with female crowntail betta

5. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I've always loved fish, I thought they were so cool when I was younger, but I've never had the money to be able to upkeep an aquarium or atleast an aquarium that I'd want.

Beautiful fish though and congrats on the eggs.

6. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

On most fish, the big one is usually the male, and the small one is the female. I will try to get a picture of the eggs. I try not to disturb them that much because they will freak out and eat their eggs.
    ------
    That was a pretty cool video ice. Bettas are probably the best fish for beginners. They are low maintenance.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009