Discrete Mathematics

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The highest math that I've completed is College Algebra. I've never taken a Calculus or Pre-Calc class. I'm a Computer Science major and this class is a prerequisite for some of my later classes.

I'm working on my first chapter and I'm starting to realize that this is mathematics in a whole new ligth for me. I can find ways to apply it to every day logic and programming.

Does anyone who has had the course think that I should be working on calculus at the same time? I think I can work at my own pace for calculus side-by-side with discrete mathematics if it will help my understanding of the principals from discrete.

Wade8813

Registered Member
From what I've heard, you generally shouldn't take two college math courses simultaneously unless you're a hard core math nerd. Even if the material's manageable, the homework gets to be too much.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I wasn't saying to take two courses at once. I was asking if I should do some independent calculus work and if it ties into discrete mathematics much.

Most of the people I went to school with have at least had pre-calc.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I didn't find a connection between them to help me understand the discrete any better.

I personally couldn't grasp the discrete mathematics course, as much as I tried, I failed to understand it, the professor wasn't much of a help anyway, and so he didn't help me either.