• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Disastrous Snowstorm in Deep South

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
ATLANTA (TheBlaze/AP) — A mild snowstorm caught Southerners off guard Tuesday, depositing mere inches of snow, barely enough to qualify as a storm up North.

Stunning, Touching Images Emerge From Disastrous Snowstorm in Deep South | TheBlaze.com
When it just snows a little in the south it can cause big problems. I have to feel sorry for these people because they just aren't use to it. Personally I think if they can't drive on it stay off of it. I've never seen so many people sleeping in grocery stores and piling up cars on the interstate over a few inches, there had to be a little ice under that snow.

Would a few inches in your area cause this kind of problems?
------
Looks like the governor and mayor are taking some heat over this for not getting prepared for it.

Georgia’s Republican Gov. Nathan Deal is taking heat from meteorologists and critics for claiming that the snowstorm that paralyzed Atlanta and left thousands stranded overnight was “unexpected.” Activists and even NBC’s Al Roker slammed the governor for delaying action on the storm and insisting that no one could have predicted what meteorologists had been predicting for days.

Georgia’s GOP governor blasted for ‘gamble’ on snowstorm preparations | The Raw Story
Should of salted those roads.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Unsalted, unplowed roads are extremely dangerous to drive on, especially for people who aren't used to driving in those conditions. Every city should have the ability to deal with winter storms, even in warm weather climates. They should have at least a small fleet of trucks to plow and salt the main roads.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
People at work today were laughing about it. 'Ohhh, can't handle a little snowwww'. I reminded them though that people that far south have no idea HOW to prepare for it because they don't know what to expect. Apparently lots of people were stranded in their vehicles and they were chuckling about that. However, of course their vehicles are all stuck. I doubt any of them have winter tires and many have probably only ever driven on nice pavement. Also since its warm down there, the snow is gonna be more slushy. Wet snow can actually be more slippery than frozen snow because the wetness right close to the icey part of the snow freezes, making it really slick. I feel bad for all them down there. Hopefully they're all right

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Don't feel bad there's people here laughing at them too but they shouldn't. People that never drive on it don't know how to drive on it and don't have proper tires for it.

When I lived in Little Rock the people there were dangerous when it snowed. They wouldn't slow down or brake sooner to make up for bad road conditions and they do get some snow just not every winter.

Atlanta's big mistake was not paying attention to the weather forecast and salting the roads that is if they had any salt.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Well generally salting only works after it snows. If you put it down before, it'll just melt since the first bit of snow that falls melts on the warm ground. Then all the snow piles on top of that layer of liquid, and the ground cools, and forms a layer of ice under the snow.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Science & History 0