Disable Caps Lock anyone?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mirage, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I was having a bad typing day today, and was hitting caps lock left and right.

Well, it finally bugged me enough that I decided to look into how to disable the key entirely, since Lord knows I never use it anyway.

I found this tutorial for disabling the CAPS LOCK key. I would highly recommend it to anybody who is prone to hitting the key during a good speed typing session.

http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_caps_lock/

I am always speed typing, so now I can do so without ending all my sentaNCES LIKE THIS!

:D

2. Julie

Julie Registered Member

OMG!! Thank you, thank you, thank you...and, did I remember to say:

THANK YOU!!

^bowing to Andrew for finding this one^

I am infamous for hitting that dang button when I get to speed typing. I clicked on the link you gave, selected the one to disable, rebooted, & *POOF* it's gone! YEAH!!

No more having to worry about someTHIng like that happening!

3. Mirage

:) Glad someone else benefited. Personally I think there should be an option right in Windows to do this easily. I can't think of a single time I've ever actually thought to myself "I'm sure glad I have CAPS LOCK.." :D

I always just end up holding the left SHIFT as I type. (I don't use the right SHIFT for some reason. It just doesn't feel natural to me.)

4. Julie

Julie Registered Member

I'm used to using both shift keys...mainly from taking the lovely typing classes back in HS. But I have just never really had a great use for that CAPS LOCK key...and now that it's been gone for a couple days, it's sooooo nice! :nod:

5. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

I'm not sure I'm ready to disable CAPS LOCK just yet. It used to be a friend in the old days before Windows (yes, Virginia, there was a time before Windows), but it would be nice to easily toggle it off and on. I'd probably wind up leaving it off more than on, but if I have to remember something too complicated to change its status, I know I'll forget how to do it.

Strange, Andrew, I also always use the left Shift key to put in caps also, even all capital letters, which I use when I'm putting up news items on a site I'm webmaster for. I took those nasty typing classes in high school too and type pretty fast, but never got used to using both hands for the shift key. Never learned my numbers either (hands are too small to reach those keys easily I guess) so I really have to watch it if I'm typing numbers.

6. Mirage

That's funny. I think the right SHIFT key is just too out of the way. I know people who use it all the time though, so I'm sure it's probably just me. I figure I can type a good 60+ WPM on a bad day in the dark, so I must be doing something right.

Back on subject witht he CAPS LOCK issue. I have mine disabled now, but one day recently somehow it got turned on. Well, that was really annoying since pressing it NO LONGER DID ANYTHING... :( I ended up button mashing and as always, that fixed it. :D

7. Julie

Julie Registered Member

I suffer from Small Hand Syndrome too (I'm only 5'2", so have small hands). I learned my numbers in HS, but it wasn't easy. Plus I don't use them near as much as letters & punctuation, so I'm guilty of always having to look at the number keys for which ones I need on there.

And BTW Andrew, I am STILL loving not having that caps lock key! I haven't had any problems with it either!

8. Albey

Albey Registered Member

The number problem doesn't affect me. Grant it i have small hands for a guy, but i normaly don't have an issue hitting any keys on a standard keyboard.. Laptops on the other hand. They are all different and i can't type for crap on anyother one but mine.