Dirk Nowitzki with Steve Nash

Discussion in 'NBA' started by scottmcgrady, May 25, 2006.

1. scottmcgrady

scottmcgrady Guest

Do you think that if Nowitzki got traded to Phoenix or if Nash got traded to Dallas, do you think they would make it work now? With Nash averaging 18.8 ppg and 10.5 apg and Nowtizki averaging 26.6 ppg, 9 rpg and 2.8 apg. Do you think that they could be a good one-two punch or don't you think it would work? State your reason why.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

When Steve Nash left Dallas both players became better then what they were when they played together. Steve Nash won back to back MVP's and Dirk overall game became greater. but put that aside, and yes I think that both players can play together. Steve is a pass first shoot second kinda of point guard and he wouldn't mind passing the ball to Dirk. It worked three years ago, and I still think it would work now.

3. scottmcgrady

scottmcgrady Guest

I think it could possibly work, Nash wouldn't be mad about giving Nowitzki the ball and letting him score 30+ points and if Nowitzki goes cold, Nash can start scoring. I don't think there's much difference between Amare and Nash and Nowitzki and Nash. Amare scored 20+ points last season and wanted the ball to score and it was the same for Nowtizki this year, with 26.6 points per game.

4. Babe_Ruth

I think Steve Nash is a better point guard right now then when he was with the Mavericks, and I not putting down the Phoenix players, but I believe that the Maverick players are better then the Suns players, also Steve Nash is a better point guard then Jason Terry, because Terry is more of a shoot first and pass second kinda of point guard. So yes they would work well again playing together and players like Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard and Devin Harris would only become better.

5. scottmcgrady

scottmcgrady Guest

Jason Terry isn't a true point guard, he's more of a shooting guard in the way he plays. If Nash went to Dallas it would be:
    PG: Steve Nash
    SG: Jason Terry
    SF: Josh Howard
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki
    C: Eric Dampier

Nash has definitely developed in to a much better player and any team he is on is capable of being better.

6. Midnight

Midnight Guest

The one-two punch worked when they were on Dallas. The time they've had apart allowed them to get better in certain aspects of the game. Nash if you notice is hitting most of the guys on the cut towards the hoop or a spotup. Dirk is learning how to create for himself.

If Nash and Dirk were reunited, yes they would be able to play off each other again.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Steve Nash is really awesome, but he's basically only good for offense. Dirk is 7 feet, MVP caliber, has the ability of dribble, and PLAY DEF. Both can make big shots, so I think it'd be better off for both teams as it is now. Nash fits the Suns pretty well and same for Dirk. and I don't think Dirk is fast enough to play with the Suns either.

If I remember correctly, the Mavs were the type of team like the SUns are now with Steve Nash and Finley. They'd run it all the time, but they'd have a weaker DEF. Probably the only down side of Nash is his defense.

8. Babe_Ruth

Even though Dirk is seven feet tall he can handle the fast pace game very well, he did it once when Nash was there and he could still do it today. They both grew up as basketball players when they split up 3 years ago but there were very good friends and they still are, so I am positive that the chemistry they had would still be strong today, maybe even stronger.

9. Midnight

Midnight Guest

I think Nash could help the Suns a little bit by playing SOME defense. He doesnt need Dirk Nowitzki for that.

Why rip on Nash, this is Nowitzki too. He could use a little bit of work on his post defense.

10. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Well I'm not saying that Nowitski is so much better. Both have their outstanding qualities, but I just thought that Nash was better suited for the Suns and Dirk with Mavs. The Mavs don't have a whole team built to run with Nash and vise versa.