• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Direction in Life

Scissorhands

Registered Member
I've been absent from GF for quite a while now. I've checked back periodically just to make sure it was still here and I've watched it change, I just haven't been active. In the time that I've been gone a lot has gone on in my life. Now I feel like I am near rock bottom again and would like to turn to you guys for suggestion.

I had made some good progress in my own life. I had moved on from working fast food and hospitality jobs to securing a job (with career opportunities) as the Marketing Director for a drug rehab here in central Texas. I was making more money than I ever had before and I was happy doing work that I had specific expertise in. Nonetheless; I lost the job for various reasons. (Yes, I was fired, I didn't voluntarily quit.)

I had been there nine months and I really have nothing to show it. I have a couple nice suits and some nicer clothes, but nothing else. About a month before I lost my job I had started college again so that down the road I could make a career change to something that I am more passionate about now and I also got an apartment and moved out of my friends house. Needless to say, losing my job means that I lost these things, as well. (I was paying for the school out of my own pocket.)

Now, there are no other places in my medium sized town where I can work in internet marketing. My only other option is going back to fast food or taking a job offer I received at a local piping company making pocket change again. I can't leave this town because it is where my son is.

I'm just sort of lost. I don't know what to do or where to go from here. I'm living back with my friend and all I own is a couple kitchen appliances and a suit case full of clothing. If I take on a minimum wage job I will be able to get by paying my bills and nothing else. I won't be able to save, I won't be able to afford to further my education to open new doors for myself, I won't be able to afford to get ahead in life. I'll live paycheck to paycheck until the day I die.

I've looked into careers/jobs that I could get with no degrees, as I believe most everyone has. Truck driving would take a month to get my CDL and would pay better than anything else I'm qualified for, but I'm not sure if it is something I would enjoy and want to do all of my life. I've taken interest and passion in health and nutrition, but I can't do anything with that without my college education continuing. (I could work in a health food store, but that's just as dead end as fast food.)

I have a vision for my life and where I would like it to be. I don't ever plan or even hope to be rich. I just want nice things and security. I want to be able to fix my vehicle if it breaks down and not have to wait two or three paychecks to fix it. I want to be able to afford food when I am hungry, pay my bills when they are do and progress in life. I don't want to be like most of the people that I see around me that are just coasting through life with no direction. People get seasoned to living paycheck to paycheck but I am disgusted by that and can't live that way any longer than I absolutely have to...

So welcome to my pitty party, made possible by yours truly. I need suggestions, advice, anything.

Also, I'll be more active now. My social life is failing, haha. I need people with a bit of mind about them to carry on conversations with. No one I know has a bit of sense about them.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I remember you had a partner and a kid.
Where did they end up to?

Scissorhands

Registered Member
Well, I mean... the kid is still around, haha. He's three next month. The most well behaved child I've ever met.

The partner went her way and I went mine. I broke up with her on October 31st and I still miss her dearly. We share the same passions and I figure if I keep on in my endeavors then I'll find her again one day and maybe we'll give it another go. It didn't end well, but I hope she's forgiving. She really instilled a large amount of ambition in me and I love her for it. I see others in relationships and they have their spats and forgive each other and stay together, but my relationships never survive differences. =/

StewedParrot

Registered Member
i'm sorry your going through this rough time. i can relate to how you feel about not wanting to get stuck in a dead end job. my only suggestion is to take 1 thing at a time.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I would start by taking adult education classes. They are affordable, increase your skills, introduce you to other subjects, increase your chances to further your career, and help you network. Mostly they'll keep your mind active and your morale up.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
i'm sorry your going through this rough time. i can relate to how you feel about not wanting to get stuck in a dead end job. my only suggestion is to take 1 thing at a time.
Impatience makes this hard for me. ;)

I would start by taking adult education classes. They are affordable, increase your skills, introduce you to other subjects, increase your chances to further your career, and help you network. Mostly they'll keep your mind active and your morale up.
When I think of adult education I think of illiterate adults or people who never got their diploma and are going for a GED. Please correct me if I am wrong, haha.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Have you tried applying at any temp agencies? I’m sure they can help you find a job that can develop into a career over time. That’s what I did when I lost my internship back in November. I dropped off my resumes at a bunch of different agencies, they sent me to a few different places before I got hired by the company I'm currently working for.

If you’re interested in logistics, you could look into getting certified on forklifts. The reason I’m suggesting that is because you can work 9-5, make more than minimum wage and still have time for your son, as opposed to driving a truck and constantly being on the road. It might help you get on your feet, while you’re trying to figure out what you wanna do career wise.

I’m not sure what other advice I can give you besides that. Good luck and good for you for turning your life around.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
Have you tried applying at any temp agencies? I’m sure they can help you find a job that can develop into a career over time. That’s what I did when I lost my internship back in November. I dropped off my resumes at a bunch of different agencies, they sent me to a few different places before I got hired by the company I'm currently working for.

If you’re interested in logistics, you could look into getting certified on forklifts. The reason I’m suggesting that is because you can work 9-5, make more than minimum wage and still have time for your son, as opposed to driving a truck and constantly being on the road. It might help you get on your feet, while you’re trying to figure out what you wanna do career wise.

I’m not sure what other advice I can give you besides that. Good luck and good for you for turning your life around.
I do appreciate your input.

I'm not necessarily interested in logistics. But I've looked at forklift driving in the past. If I'm not mistaken I'd have to take a course and get certified, correct?

I hope to become a health coach in the near future. But then again, that is something that only leads to owning a personal coaching business; there aren't many jobs I can get without a degree, just knowing about health. I'll have to build my own clientele, etc. So even if I am able to make that a reality, I'll have to work another job in the mean time.

I've been offered a job at a pipe manufacturing company. $10 an hour, 40 hours a week. All that jazz. I think it's going to be depressing work with no real satisfaction besides for an OK paycheck every week, but I've no other options right now. Maybe if I take this job I can get in my payment for school before I'm kicked out and I can continue to pursue my passion.

The next couple of weeks are going to test me in so many ways. I hope I pass and I'm able to carry on and start moving forward. I used to play a lot of video games in all of my spare time and it kept me occupied, but when I placed my main interest in having a superb social life, my money disappeared as soon as I got each paycheck and I had nothing to show. ^Now I'm here. If I can get income, spend it more wisely, save and stay in school. I should be fine. School will be over in a year and I'll feel much more accomplished as a person.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time, I'm not really sure how things work in America, but in Australia it's possible for the Government to help pay for most of your degree in University, and you don't have to pay them back until you have a job afterwards and in some cases you end up paying less. I'm not entirely sure how student loans work in America as I said, they might be completely different but could it be an option to help get you through College and earn some qualifications?

shelgarr

Registered Member
When I think of adult education I think of illiterate adults or people who never got their diploma and are going for a GED. Please correct me if I am wrong, haha.
It probably has both of those. It is also for any adult that wants to pursue an interest, or develop more skills. I've taken tennis classes, and I'm thinking about painting, or writing. There are also tons of technical offerings, especially in softwares, that would be very useful in corporate. All of it keeps a person active, and engaged, and exercises the brain.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Chameleon Science & History 7
StroShow Wrestling 2
Bliss Bathroom Wall 7
Shooting_Palanx Music 5
Babe_Ruth Breaking News 7