[DiH] The "Right-Wing" Media

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

"Deer-in-Headlights" Time!

One of the paranoid delusion of the right wing seems to be this idea that the mainstream media is left wing. Simple question really, how the hell is that possible? I'd like some evidence, please. A lot of people on this forum stick to this party line and to be honest, the news station I see and hear from the most tends to be Fox and their kin. So tell me, where does this concept of the left wing media come from? Need I remind people that big corporations own almost all major news sources in this country and by that definition, tend to be right leaning in their tendencies?

I guess I just want to hear from some people that believe this to give me some proof. I see it said a lot and to be honest I really think the Conservatives and Republicans have a much louder voice in the media than the left wing.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

The claims of left wing media go much further back than the establishment of Fox News and talk radio. The media by and large is very left leaning. I remember a poll put out during the Clinton administration that said 92% of all journalists consider themselves liberal and voted for Clinton.

It's hard to ignore how biased the mainstream media is, how ABC News, CBS News, MSNBC, The New York Times, etc..all slant stories. And even make stoies up, Jason Blair anyone?

I think the most recent example is when Obama was running for president books were put out discrediting his claims, ie, The Audacity of Deceit and others. Instead of focusing on the claims made, the authors were demonized for being haters. Yet recently the AP assigned 11, yes 11 journalists to discredit claims Sarah Palin made in her recent book.

Pointing to Fox News and talk radio don't disprove the claim that the mainstream media is slanted. What it does is expose how slanted it is. That's not to say they aren't either, but the slant to the left has been going on much longer that the slant to the right.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

It's not what they say, it's what they fail to say. Even Fox News is guilty of this.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

@ CO: We both know how reliable most "polls" are :lol:

Like I said, I'm not pointing a finger at Fox really, I'm not blaming them for anything. I simply think they're one of the most prolific news sources out there and I hear about them all the time. They have a ton of pundits, heavy support from the radio networks and a lot of sponsors. I think if anything the "left wing media" is mostly the bloggers, independent journalists and a select few channels but you have to admit that the right wing is not as "subdued" as guys like O'Reilly and Beck will have you believe.

5. CaptainObvious

I disagree, all of the network news leans left as do the major newspapers, some worse than others. Time, Newsweek, The New York Times, all of these news outlets slant the news left. Fox is singled out because they're the only major players that don't.

6. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

This video rings a bell talking about this topic. I counted 12 lies, not counting the COUNTLESS misconceptions and misinformation about concealed carry.

To the media concealed carry permit holders = ruthless evil bastards that shoot at anything that twitches. They make NO distinction between gangbangers and law abiding citizens. This plays right into the left wing anti gun agenda.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  7. CaptainObvious

And to be honest I don't have much of a problem with it, I just wish it weren't so blatant. I had a subscription to Newsweek for the longest time, I like reading an opposing perspective. I finally cancelled it though once they hired that guy from the DailyKos, his name escapes me right now, I found it not to be slanted anymore but devoid of any intellectual honesty whatsoever.

8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

If you run a Google search, you can find plenty of anecdotes, studies, polls, etc; that are said to show the media slanted in one direction or another. Ironically, we rely on the media when analyzing how biased the media is. I could link to a bunch of stuff purporting to show the media has a conservative bias (even barring Fox News and talk radio), but there would no point. The fact of the matter is that we can only determine bias relative to the truth of matters, and when we disagree on what the truth of matters is, then of course we will disagree on which direction the media is biased. As we liberals often like to say: "reality has a liberal bias."

That said, conservative arguments are far more sound-bite friendly, so of course the media has a conservative bias. :p ;)
    ------
    Karl Rove used to (maybe still does?) have a column in Newsweek. Which goes to my point of our being able to bring up anecdotal evidence to support whatever conclusion we like.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  9. CaptainObvious

He didn't when I had the subscription and my problem with Newsweek was it's slant in general, not based on one column.

Fox News has people like Alan Colmes, that doesn't make it's news slanted towards the left.

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

It doesn't seem fair to call it a "paranoid delusion" considering that A) It's fairly commonly held, even by some people who aren't conservative, and B) I'd guess that most of the people who believe it aren't particularly paranoid OR delusional... :rolleyes:

How is that possible? Lots of ways.

1. Big corporations know that restricting their employees too much will create a backlash
    2. If they censor the wrong stories, they'll lose credibility for not reporting things that are being widely reported elsewhere
    3. You can't fire your reporters just for leaning left. You can sometimes find other excuses to let some of them go, but getting rid of large numbers of them would be too suspicious.
    4. A corporation can't get too involved in the smaller details - it's too inefficient, and costly, and makes those under you angry, etc.

I agree that it's a problem that the media is so tied in with corporations, but it's not the smoking gun that some claim it is.

Sure, one poll can be misleading (especially depending on how it was handled). But we're talking about lots of polls, handled by separate organizations, all of whom are fairly well respected.

I also hear about Fox all the time - but the majority of the time, I'm hearing about it from liberals who are criticizing Fox.

Actually, when I Google "media conservative bias", most of the results I find are attacks on Fox, come from sources of unknown reliability, and/or depend on inconclusive evidence/reasoning to support their claims.

Maybe I'm just not looking at the right sites. Could you point me towards some? I'm honestly interested.