• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Different video games genre

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's some video game genres that we haven't seen in a really long time, which one(s) would you like to see come back?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Could you give some examples? I'm having a hard time thinking of any genres that are no longer a thing.

Twitch

Registered Member
Here's something I found:

and a link:
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1478352.png

According to this, text adventure, run-n-gun, tactical RPGs, flight simulators and maze games are the least popular nowadays.

I think it'd be cool to have a new text adventure game. I dunno how popular it would get.. There probably are newer ones I don't know of.

Run-n-gun seems like a Geometry Wars style game, so those aren't too dead.

Not really sure what Tactical RPGs are.

I don't have much of an opinion on flight sims and maze games. They seem to be added into other games when necessary.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Funnily enough, I played a text-based game just recently. It was a fan made game, kind of a "spin-off" type thing of a major game series. It's been quite popular, I wouldn't be surprised if more text based games were released.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Light-Gun games like NES's "Hogan's Alley".

Semi-RPG/sidescrolling games like SNES's Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Basically anything 2-player co-op like the formerly mentioned game, plus stuff like Perfect Dark's co-op mission mode, and also extensions of previous games that SHOULD have had more options for it but didn't, like the original SNES Super Mario Kart that should have had a 4 player GP mode (not just battle).

I'm way more interested in fixing outrageously missed opportunities in old games than anything new.

Also, a great hack of NHLPA 93 with all current teams, rosters, and realistic ability levels would be awesome.

I also think they should make an updated version of "Little League Baseball Championship Series" that plays similar to the original but with a great deal of added features (graphics only one of them, mostly maximizing the already great defense and pitching and overall play control). We need a really good little league baseball game for the modern era.

Also, there needs to be a way to engineer a game like NHL games (NHL 99 being one of them) where you can PLAY in "Overhead 2" mode for max visibility, but then re-watch the ENTIRE GAME in a different angle like "Broadcast" mode, so it's like a TV telecast and more convenient for recording. That combined with expertly crafted editing features would be like heaven to me.