• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Different dimensions at the ballpark?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on this? Baseball is the only sport where the dimensions of the stadium are different from other stadiums? Do you like this? Do you think it creates an unfair advantage? Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
aseball is the only sport where the dimensions of the stadium are different from other stadiums?
Pitch sizes vary in soccer, even within a league like the Premier League. For example, Man City's Etihad Stadium pitch is 105m x 68m while Tottenham's White Hart Lane is 100m x 67m. Can't think of any other team sports besides soccer and baseball where this would be the case.

Personally, I like it. It's hardly noticeable in soccer, but in baseball I like how it gives each stadium it's own unique character. Sure, certain stadiums will favor certain teams based on their tendencies and familiarity with the park, but I don't think it's unfair in any way.

The one thing I think is a little strange is the hill and flagpole in the Astro's center field. Not sure how I feel about having obstacles within the field of play, but in a way I kind of like it because it requires the outfielders to have more awareness of their surroundings.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought Houston was removing the hill and pole but I might have misheard that. Now that the Astros are in the AL I don't pay much attention to them anymore.

Anyway, I agree with Major here. I love that each ballpark is unique. It is something that gives baseball a different feel than the generic places hockey teams and basketball teams have.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I thought Houston was removing the hill and pole but I might have misheard that. Now that the Astros are in the AL I don't pay much attention to them anymore.

Anyway, I agree with Major here. I love that each ballpark is unique. It is something that gives baseball a different feel than the generic places hockey teams and basketball teams have.
I heard that as well - so I think you're right. Have they not done it yet? I thought it was supposed to be done on the offseason.

Anyway, I don't think ballparks should all be the same. I agree with Millz & Major. Baseball has a lot of characteristics that make it unique, and this is one of them. It's not necessarily something that teams can adjust to try to gain advantages when they have a good pitching core one season and better bats several years later. I don't think that anything should ever change with stadium size because baseball is just a different sport.

Last edited:

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
The one thing I think is a little strange is the hill and flagpole in the Astro's center field. Not sure how I feel about having obstacles within the field of play, but in a way I kind of like it because it requires the outfielders to have more awareness of their surroundings.
I love how you just threw the flagpole in there with the hlll... like it's on the field or something.

Next thing you know we'll be putting orange cones, hurdles, and an obstacle course out there being "Yeah, let's see you run down those fly balls now, BITCHES!!!"

I like it. It's not exactly perfect for putting people on the same level for keeping accurate historical stats, but is it really that important? Since hits happen all over the field, there are a variety of ways to achieve different types of production. So unless you're talking about the SINGLE (now very corrupted) stat of the homerun, I say just keep it and enjoy the character of the stadiums. People can go where the stadium fits them if they really want to and can.

I do not like that hill in the outfield though. I think that's a safety risk that we don't need and it messes unfairly with the running motion, which should be not messed around with.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
As long as home, 1st, 2nd and 3rd are the same dimensions, no problem. You still have to win away. If you win 81 home games because of an advantage (not likely) at home and completely stink away because your lineup is geared around your stadium, has it really helped you? Like the Red Sox usually having a batting line up geared around that wall. If it wasn't for spending $100m+ more they wouldn't be that big of a threat. Man, I would love a real salary cap in baseball.

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
As long as home, 1st, 2nd and 3rd are the same dimensions, no problem. You still have to win away. If you win 81 home games because of an advantage (not likely) at home and completely stink away because your lineup is geared around your stadium, has it really helped you? Like the Red Sox usually having a batting line up geared around that wall. If it wasn't for spending $100m+ more they wouldn't be that big of a threat. Man, I would love a real salary cap in baseball.
I always thought I'd be a salary cap guy....and was for the longest time. I was just used to it in football. But watching hockey go the SC route I have to say it has ruined some of the best parts of the season, like the trade deadline. It also makes it impossible to keep a team together. I know the point is to have parity, but is there really parity? The two leagues with the "hardest" caps have had repeat winners again and again over the last 15 or so years. I think the hard cap in hockey has made it difficult for the teams that are on the cusp of greatness but can't make the move that would put them over the top.

With that said, it is also a skill to manage the cap and that's probably what's happened in football and hockey. The teams that are best with the cap do the best, generally. I really just miss all the in season moves that used to happen in hockey. Made the whole season exciting for all teams. And there are NEVER in season trades in football. Ramble, ramble, ramble....

I like the dimensions in baseball being different. I kind of miss the smaller rinks in hockey. Although, now with all the rules those rinks would be a penalty fests I think.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
But watching hockey go the SC route I have to say it has ruined some of the best parts of the season, like the trade deadline.
Really? The trade deadline is the best thing about the season?

Speaking as a guy who favors team loyalty from the start... through the season... and even into next and the next seasons if at all possible to the point where if I had it my way, people would play their whole careers with the same team (or at least from the start of the season to the end of the current season) more often, I don't see how moving players around is an appealing part of this sport. If anything, it upsets people when you get connected to a certain player, buy their jerseys, get their autographs, cheer their names at games, and the next thing you know, they're on your rival team or in another conference and never to be seen again. I fail to see how this is in any way an appealing part of this sport, much like seeing the same teams win every year to create a dynasty (and naturally causing some teams and fanbases to lose every year and be miserable as a result).

Crypticshock

Registered Member
The trade deadline isn't really a cap issue - it's having rules in place to make trading better, like retaining salary. Baseball would have a much better cap because they make a lot more. Having teams spend $200M and others at $60M can be rather sucky. Cause those teams will be trading away their youth pretty soon.

TheRealVJ

Registered Member
I enjoy every bit of it, and I definitely think the players do as well. It makes every ballpark unique, and can call for some hectic ball games when the teams are playing in a hitters park. As a player, I can't imagine how they wouldn't enjoy it. Pretty sure there's no left-handed hitter who wouldn't enjoy hitting at Yankee Stadium.