• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Difference between "love" and "in love" ?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
How do you know if you love someone or you're in love with them? What's the difference?

Some might probably think of, "I love my parents but I'm not in love with them" and we could go into incestful considerations which is not what I'm after. So just think of your friends, for the sake of discussion.

I'm still figuring out my answer therefore I'll reply later.

KiethBlackLion

Registered Member
Love exists, but I wonder if the "in love" exists. My main reason for questioning it is that most of the time, you only hear "in love" when someone is about to get dumped.

Example:

Guy: I'm sorry, but it's just not working out.
Girl: But I thought you loved me.
Guy: I do love you, but I'm not "in love" with you.

Now, there are varying degrees of love. One can love their car, pet, spouse, sibling, parents and friends, but that person doesn't love all of them the same way. But I think the term "in love" is just some grammatical thing that was made up sometime in the past.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I think the difference between 'love' and 'in love' is simply romance/passion.

The dumping thing ("I still love you, i'm just not in love with you anymore"), I believe, is when the feelings are still there but the romance has gone from the relationship.

Eg:
I love my friend, I think shes really attractive and funny, we get on really well, but I don't want a romantic relationship with her.

Last edited:

wooly

I am the woolrus
I'd say that.... "Love" is a strong liking for someone to the point where if that person disappeared it'd leave a void in your life, impossible or near impossible to fill. This is what's said of friends and family.

"In Love" i think would then be the same thing, but with physical attraction, passion, romance, and everything else thrown into the mix.

Although at the same time, i wouldn't say that one is generally a stronger feeling than the other, but "love" is more reliable. People can often be fooled into thinking they're "in love" through their senses/attraction etc. But generally "Love" is real.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I think the difference between 'love' and 'in love' is simply romance/passion.

The dumping thing ("I still love you, i'm just not in love with you anymore"), I believe, is when the feelings are still there but the romance has gone from the relationship.

Eg:
I love my friend, I think shes really attractive and funny, we get on really well, but I don't want a romantic relationship with her.
I'd say that.... "Love" is a strong liking for someone to the point where if that person disappeared it'd leave a void in your life, impossible or near impossible to fill. This is what's said of friends and family.

"In Love" i think would then be the same thing, but with physical attraction, passion, romance, and everything else thrown into the mix.

Although at the same time, i wouldn't say that one is generally a stronger feeling than the other, but "love" is more reliable. People can often be fooled into thinking they're "in love" through their senses/attraction etc. But generally "Love" is real.
Wait, no one has mentioned sex yet? :lol:

It was what I first thought and now reading your replies, I should have thought of romance, of course. So being in love is like Love +++ (all the the things you mentioned). I do think that sexual attraction is a big part, such that sometimes when people don't even love someone and feel only sexually attracted, they mistake it for being in love.

arrowman

Love is the desire to be the next person who always
And when they are next to accelerate your heart strikes
Sit down and you always see the image in front of you
You sleep and dream of him
love is not wards it is act

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Love is the desire to be the next person who always
And when they are next to accelerate your heart strikes
Sit down and you always see the image in front of you
You sleep and dream of him
love is not wards it is act
Ok, so that is "love". But what is "in love"? I'm asking for the difference between the two. Or are you saying "love" and "in love" is the same thing?

lolacherry

Registered Member
You "love" your family, but in love i would assume was sexual attraction since you would be "in love" with your partner or someone you fancy

arrowman

yes thier is no diffrenece between the two
you are
confused between kinds like
Loving mother to her child
Loving brother to his sister
The love of God
at the end goal and a sense of every one the same

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Wait, no one has mentioned sex yet? :lol:

It was what I first thought and now reading your replies, I should have thought of romance, of course. So being in love is like Love +++ (all the the things you mentioned). I do think that sexual attraction is a big part, such that sometimes when people don't even love someone and feel only sexually attracted, they mistake it for being in love.
Haha. The reason I personally didn't mention sex was because, although it plays a big part in love itself, it doesn't really play a part in separating 'love' from 'in love.' It doesn't even really separate 'love' from 'lust.' You might want to have sex with someone whether you're in love with them, just love them, or don't even really like them as a person you just find them attractive.

Was that what you meant, or did I get the wrong end of the shtick?
------
yes thier is no diffrenece between the two
you are
confused between kinds like
Loving mother to her child
Loving brother to his sister
The love of God
at the end goal and a sense of every one the same
But a mother is not in love with her child, so therefore there is a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone? The feeling of each can be just as strong, but there is a difference, no?

Last edited: