• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Die Hard... With Mr Ugly in Lead Role

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
It's pretty noticeable that ugly people are not called upon to be in films.

Think about it. Every 'love interest' for the Gladiatorial goon in them sorts of films. Every spouse back home for the lead soldier. Every bird in Statham movies, heck Statham himself. They're all stereotypes of general beauty. Hulking muscles, big tits, slim bodies, chiselled features, tanned hides. Whatever. --- Hell and fire, there's even comedy flicks that try to derive laughs from (or at) ugliness and obesity - often shite, like Big Momma's House or something - but nonetheless, in existence.

I find this pretty interesting. Not because I'm a walking pooface, I believe I'm not, but because in a way it doesn't seem entirely right.
Would the presence of ugly people in the roles of stereotypical beautiful people ruin the film? Would you be less inclined to watch a 40 stone pimply bloke save the day, or a Gorgon go on a date with a scabby sniveller in some crucial date scene?

What do you reckon to this? I mean, I constantly notice the inclination to attractive appearance, in the stereotypical sense, and also a fair smattering of people insisting that beauty is on the inside and things like that.
Then why not have ugly people in these roles?
What would you think of ugly people suddenly appearing in your favourite franchises... What opinion do you have of this concept... It's a pretty open and general subject.

Wade8813

Registered Member
A plain looking person? No problem with that. A gorgon going on a date with a scabby sniveler? That sounds kinda gross. Movies can do fine without pretty people. But when you put in actively unpleasant looking people in, it will often turn away viewers (unless it's in the role of a villain).

dDave

V.I.P.
A plain looking person? No problem with that. A gorgon going on a date with a scabby sniveler? That sounds kinda gross. Movies can do fine without pretty people. But when you put in actively unpleasant looking people in, it will often turn away viewers (unless it's in the role of a villain).
Yeah I was about to say. What about Gollum?

But yeah I definitely agree with the statement that generally it's the good looking people that get put into films, ugly people aren't ever in movies as good guys (or very rarely) it's only used as a device of deception.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
I wouldn't say it's a device of deception, but more of a device of psychology.

For whatever reason, our society, thinks beautiful people are more approachable, more...likeable. Of course the movie industry is going to reflect think. The movie industry (most media industries) are just a reflection (although may be a little foggy) of our society.

It's true, I would rather see Brad Pitt (even as a male) half naked killing some people with a sword than some man with saggy manboobs, three pimples the size of Mt. St. Helens and a nose more crooked than our politics. Movies are meant to be visually and mentally pleasing, this comes as no suprise to me.