• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Didn't realize how widely used Java was!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was installing a Java earlier just now and was reading the notes it displays during the install process and read something interesting.

You are installing Java. Java is found everywhere - on mobile phones, desktop computers, Blu-ray Disc players, set top boxes, and even in your car.
I knew if was big but I didn't realize it was used in CARS. Where else is Java used that most people might not be aware of? Anyone know?

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
great ! :sigh: that's why my heater broke down!

stupid java :D

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
Java is used on a lot of applications. I know that at least one of the games on my cell phone is written in java. Probably many of them are written as java applets because they only need a browser to run them and it makes them much easier to run. Where as with java itself you have to have the JRE (Java Run-Time Environment) in order for java programs to work.

Plus with Java been an exclusively OO (Object-Oriented) language, to create objects in java to represent real world objects.

Last edited:

looker

Registered Member
Would you ever imagine there is a language of everyone ?
Would you ever feel exhausted when you you code at your PC at home, and need to copy and paste code (or sometime need to re-code) when you use MAC at work ?
Would you ever thought of the flexibility of a language which everyone know and supported by many environments Window, RedHat, Solaris, ...etc. ?
That is really Java.
Java is an independent language. But it is not magic that a language can run on many different platforms. However Java can be up and running unless there is a JVM ( Java Virtual Machine ) installed on a device or system.
That is only one of the advanced features of Java.

/looker

kuhn

As i know,many cellphone development use j2me,so that's not strange to say java is widely employed.