Did Jesus preached against war?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by manuel, Jul 23, 2008.

1. manuel

manuel Registered Member

I hear this a lot “ What kind of a Christian are you supporting war”
    There is a principle called “Just wars” that I believe in. what do you think? Is there such a thing as Just Wars? Does Christianity forbids one’s participation or support for war?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

There is no such thing as a "just war" from a true Christian perspective. Christians (just like all other religions) have always found ways to justify breaking their own rules and commandments. Hell, killing is on that list but Christians have been responsible for more dead than probably every world war combined!

3. manuel

manuel Registered Member

What commandments?
    ------
    Six conditions must be satisfied for a war to be considered just:
    The war must be for a just cause.
    The war must be lawfully declared by a lawful authority.
    The intention behind the war must be good.
    All other ways of resolving the problem should have been tried first.
    There must be a reasonable chance of success.
    The means used must be in proportion to the end that the war seeks to achieve.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm pretty sure Constantine was thinking of "thou shalt not kill" in this particular instance.

Nightsurfer likes this.
  5. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Ah yes, but you must remember the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

There is no such thing as a just war, killing is killing and that's all there is to it.

6. manuel

manuel Registered Member

The correct wording for that is “thy shall not murder”
    Please when looking to the topic of war, keep in mind that it refers to armed fighting between groups: an armed conflict between countries or groups that involves killing and destruction.
    Murder: crime of killing somebody: the crime of killing another person deliberately and not in self-defence or with any other extenuating circumstance recognized by law.

7. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

according to which translation?

8. manuel

manuel Registered Member

You mean to tell me that Christian should let other people to kill them? Did Jesus ever said that followers must not defend their country?.
    Do you think that Moses is burning in hell? Joshua and Samuel?

9. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

He did say to turn the other cheek. Not to react to violence with violence.

Nightsurfer likes this.
  10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Jesus believed in pacifism. If he believed in just killing, why didn't he kill anyone? Simple, because he didn't believe in it. Your assumptions bring about all sorts of problems, such as the "self-defense" defense. People abuse that phrase so much as a way of killing people they don't want. Ever hear of the Salem Witch trials? They thought they were defending themselves by killing all those "witches" when all they were really doing was silencing free thinking women.