• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Did getting your tattoo hurt?

Bliss

Sally Twit
I'm getting my first tattoo in a couple of weeks and I'm a little worried about what to expect. Now, I've spoken to a lot of people and all of them have said it doesn't hurt, it's just hot, it's like a little scratch or just an irritation. Not one person has said it hurt them and I think it's because they don't want to put me off.
It's going to be on the inside of my wrist and will be three different colours. I've shared it with a few of you but I'm keeping it to myself until it's on my skin!

Tell me the truth branded GF'ers! I can handle it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It depends where you get it, everyone's skin is different. But personally mine on my shoulder did hurt at all, but I did the mistake not drinking or eatting anything before I got it, so I was almost ready to pass out because of it. But like I told you in chat, it's just like taking a pen and writing really hard on your skin.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
It's going to hurt like a bitch. Much like looking at your face. Or your mother's.

lol

No, it's nothing at all and what others told you is true. Unless of course it's on your butt or close to the bone. I've got one on the inside of my wrist and it didn't hurt; just hot and feels much like a constant, irritating scratch.

Puck

Registered Member
I have one on the inside of my wrist and to be honest, it really wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.
It was an extremely hot, irritating 'pain' when the needle went over the veins in the middle of your wrist and when he had to do the curve on th two outer words, but other than that, it really isn't that bad.
Mind you, mine is not coloured, so I'm not sure if that changes anything.
BR's right though, make sure to eat a good hearty meal and drink lots of water before getting it done, you don't want to be passing out or anything.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I have 4. One in between my shoulders, one on my lower back, and one on the inside of each ankle. The one in between my shoulders I didn't even feel, I was so excited about getting it done that I didn't even think about it. Not only that, but my artist was a blast, he had me laughing the entire time.

The one on my lower back took 8 hours, so the worst part was getting cramped up from sitting in one position for ever. The artist also did a lot of color over color to get the right blend, so it felt like parts were getting irritated because of having a needle go over one part multiple times.

The ones on the inside of my legs the artist didn't want to go as low as I wanted because he said it would be more painful, but I told him that was where I wanted it and probably wouldn't be happy with the placement. So needless to say I went along with the more "painful" place, and it was a breeze. The only odd part was he would run over a nerve that would make my leg twitch a little; that was more embarrassing than anything.

At the end of a tattoo, they are going to wipe it off with alcohol and a paper towel.. Most people would say that is the worst part of the entire process since you are putting alcohol on an open wound.. That is my favorite part, because it says "We are Done!!!!!!"

The one on my lower back had a burning sensation for about 24 hours afterward that just felt like a decently bad sunburn.

The wrist is a decently thin area, so I am sure it will be a slightly more painful than getting it somewhere with a decent amount of fat. I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 getting a tattoo is about a 3, but it is over an extended amount of time. It isn't like slamming your toe against the coffee table that hurts like a bitch, but all the pain happens at once. Just make sure you relax, remember to breathe, and eat that day. No alcohol or medicines that can thin your blood out before hand!

You will do fine, and it will be completely worth it.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I won't lie to you, cakes, it hurt pretty fuckin bad. I just zoned out and focused on my breathing, though, and by the time it was over I was in such an awesome place through meditation that I was almost sad that it was over, and wanted another one right away. That was my second tat. The first one, my sister held my hand the whole time. lol

both were totally worth it. I can't wait to see yours.

Barbara

Ess Tii Eph Yu
V.I.P.
Out of the 5 I have only one of them hurt and that is the one I got on my ribcage.

Impact

V.I.P.
My first two didn't hurt, they were only slightly irritating. The third one hurt like a bitch, and i'm not sure if that was because it was a different tattoo artist, or the place I got it.

As you're getting it in a place where you can see it being done, i'll advise you not to look at it being done. Also, one of my friends got tattoos on his wrists, and he said that because the guys was hitting his nerves there, his fingers were moving like crazy without him being able to control it, so don't be alarmed if that happens.

You'll be fine though, they're worth the pain, or irritation involved.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
gah! yes, for me it hurt very much! lol I did not cry, but it was worse than a very very bad sunburn with someone touching and poking it lol.

Jeru

Registered Member
you will be okay. it is not an unbearable pain. it didnt hurt at all when i got my wrists done but i had gotten like 30 tattoos before then so i knew what to expect.