• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Did anyone see this?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Just think of this when you complain about how horrible America is... The Chinese government executed Zheng Xiaoyu who was the head of the Chinese FDA. Basically all the recalls in the US market gave China a bad name and they chose to pop this guy for it. Here is the Article. They rounded up additional people and a few others commited suicide.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-05/31/content_884392.htm

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Surpised nobody responded to this?

I agree that that is ridiculous. It's a wonder that China will be hosting the Olympics when things like this are still going on there. They are trying to put on a good face for all of the tourism that has been picking up lately but it's things like this that continue to show the rest of the world that their internal policies are not changing.

Executed for too many recalls of Chinese products? Well what could this guy have even done about it? Everybody knows that products that say "Made in China" are most likely being made in sweat factories. If you were making a dollar a day would you be inclined to really push out some quality work? Maybe if the people had a choice of what they could do for a living then people would have a chance to find jobs that they enjoyed.

I can get going on China though and I will hold back for now. One thing is for sure though, they are a huge country and we (US) really have to stay on their good side and they know it.

dDave

V.I.P.
That's ridiculous! How can they kill a guy for that?!

China does export a lot of products but nobody should ever be executed for product recalls, EVER!

But of course the U.S. does have to stay on China's good side or else we will be seeing things that were made in China being made in the U.S. and the prices will go up incredibly.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's ridiculous by our standards and practices, but they're a different culture. Sure, it's retarded, and the guy could have just been fired, but I'll bet the next guy wouldn't want to screw up too badly.

Psyco

Food Whore
Doing something like that shows that China is committed to "standards" that apply in the US. I actually side with them on this issue, now that this has happened, you can bet that his successor isn't going to have any of this business happen on his watch. (you punish someone enough, other people will go "oh shit" and clean up their act.)

Teorropy

I agree he should have been punished, but differently not killed.

What are they teaching the people, you make one mistake, that sucks for you.

You will be killed.

Sometimes you need to be able to make a mistake, now that said, this one is pretty bad, so they should have fired him instead of killing him.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I can get going on China though and I will hold back for now. One thing is for sure though, they are a huge country and we (US) really have to stay on their good side and they know it.
I think it goes the other way too. We could cripple China by taking our buisness elsewhere i.e. India

dDave

V.I.P.
but I'll bet the next guy wouldn't want to screw up too badly.

Well I most certainly would not want to be the new guy that's for sure...
Somebody will probably be forced into the job though if nobody takes it.

Psyco

Food Whore
I agree he should have been punished, but differently not killed.

What are they teaching the people, you make one mistake, that sucks for you.

You will be killed.

Sometimes you need to be able to make a mistake, now that said, this one is pretty bad, so they should have fired him instead of killing him.
You have to realize what that one mistake might cost them though. As pro2A has stated, if something like this ever happened again, we'd take our business elsewhere. China's economy might not be ENTIRELY controlled/affected by our market leaving, but you can be damn sure that they would go into steep economic decline.

The whole reason you execute someone is to teach a lesson. Yes, it wasn't a good idea to kill a man over it, but (a) their society has different rules than ours. (b) This is a serious matter, and could have SERIOUS repercussions if not handled correctly (the lead in the toys part, not the killing of a man).

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I'm pretty sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. There's probably A LOT more stuff they haven't released and they probably never will until communism falls.