• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Did Amazon Just Kill the Name ‘Alexa’ For Babies?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
My daughter’s name sounds similar enough to Alexa that we actually changed our settings for our Echo devices so that they respond to Echo instead.

But it got me thinking, would anybody (present and future generations) straight up name their baby girl Alexa in 2020 with how quickly Amazon’s AI is being adopted worldwide?

If you liked the name, would you name your baby Alexa?

And what about Siri?

I think Google had it right here. “Hey Google” isn’t encroaching on any real people’s names out there.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think they should have called it something else like maybe the "Prime Hub" or something and had you name it whatever you want. I'm sure it's super annoying for people actually named Alexa, not that there are THAT many of them out there but still...

At least with Siri, it's a pretty uncommon name. I've never met a Siri before. Quick etymology search shows it's a Scandinavian name.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I thought Siri is a common Indian name. Why didn't Amazon just use "Ama" haha.

Shwa

V.I.P.
Isn't there a way to rename the Alexa using the app? I remember my husband changing to Alexa name to "Computer" (Star Trek Reference), so I think it's not much of a huge hassle to change the command name.

dDave

V.I.P.
Isn't there a way to rename the Alexa using the app? I remember my husband changing to Alexa name to "Computer" (Star Trek Reference), so I think it's not much of a huge hassle to change the command name.
Right but it's still kinda annoying to be named Alexa at other peoples houses, haha. Lots of people don't change the name, most people I know haven't.

Impaired

Registered Member
If I own a product, the smart features, if any, are disabled. I can't imagine leaving an open microphone in my house connected to a store's servers.

It is proven that companies will not be responsible with your data.

That is expensive and time consuming.

Shwa

V.I.P.
If I own a product, the smart features, if any, are disabled. I can't imagine leaving an open microphone in my house connected to a store's servers.

It is proven that companies will not be responsible with your data.

That is expensive and time consuming.
This reminds me when my Alexa randomly beeps and has an orange light on it, just randomly turning off when I'm talking or watching a show. It's waiting to hear something and I'm looking at it like, "...excuse you, I'll let you listen to my conversation when I'm good and damn ready. Rude!!"