• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Dictionaries & Encyclopedias

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Do you ever use a paper bound Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Atlas, or Almanac anymore?

I ask because I found it funny how much I've learned to rely on the firefox spellchecker. My phone uses (without option or alternative) IE5, which a spellchecker probly wasnt even a thought yet! SO that last thread I posted I was having a mental battle on whether Libel was spelled Libel or Lible, I ended up busting out my trusty 1982 edition of Websters New World Dictionary for the answer.

But it was one of those things I kind of laughed at, because normally I would have just used the dictionary or encyclopedia at reference.com, but alas with no internet I cant do that so the bulky book 'o words got pulled out of retirement.

So how 'bout you guys? Anyone still keep ay of those bulky paper bound books laying around?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't use those things very often anymore. I do use a real dictionary when I'm playing a word game, like Scrabble. And I almost always use a paper road atlas. I much prefer paper maps over GPS or maps on the computer. I'll probably never use a paper bound encyclopedia ever again though. It's so much easier looking things up on the internet, where everything is up to date.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I always go to the internet for all of those things. I don't even have a phone book at home anymore. The Dallas phone books are so large that they're more of a hindrance to keep around than anything else. I did rely a lot on MAPSCO when I first moved to the area, but there is always so much construction around here that it's easier just to look up the roads on mapquest.

Impact

V.I.P.
I have a dictionary lying around at home somewhere that I use occasionally on the off chance my computer is actually turned off, and I don't want to start it up. Other than that I use spell check, and for definitions I use online dictionaries. Same applys for encyclopedias.

I don't have a GPS so its the good old paper map if I get lost.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I have a paper bound dictionary and I do use it alot. I have also come to relying on the internet for finding out the defination of words or the meanings of something etc. but I would say that I prefer to use my paper dictionary, just feels better to me.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Do you ever use a paper bound Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Atlas, or Almanac anymore?

So how 'bout you guys? Anyone still keep ay of those bulky paper bound books laying around?
Yes, we still have those heavy hard bound books and they're arranged. We love our home library. We don't have a complete general encyclopedia but we have specific encyclopedias. We have Atlas and a dozen of dictionaries (different languages) and linguistic books that provide information we couldn't easily find in the internet (yes, it's possible).

I still use google though and usually it takes me to wiki pages and dictionary.com for quick search. But I still love my books and think they're more comprehensive.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I always carry a dictionary with myself at school, well for English classes mostly because sometimes they are words that I don't know the meanings of.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Same here, I personally have a set of Colliers Encyclopedias. I think they are dated around 86 or 87 one of the two, but none the less its a full set.

It was kinda funny how my CIT instructor was talking about how he used to do door to door Encyclopedia sales while he was in school working on his degree. He said it was hilarious the contradiction he was in, working on a degree in a field that would essentially make his job as an encyclopedia salesmen obsolete hahaha.

Liebhaber

Registered Member
I like to use paper bound dictionaries and atlases... because I feel for them a special nostlagia... surely if I have enough time for this... but for quick information usualy I use the internet... it's truly and fast way to get information and almost always effective

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Other than the Scrabble Dictionary, which I dust off when my mom's in town to make sure she doesn't pull a fast one on me, I don't use traditional reference guides at all anymore. Even the once-essential Thomas Bros. guide is gone from my life. I'll only go to m-w.com to check a definition on occasion, and to thesaurus.com when a word is on the tip of my tongue but I can't squeeze it out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ysabel General Discussion 4