Dictation software

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Easily-Amused, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

so, guess what
    I have tendinitis
    I've actually had it since middle school, but this time it's gotten really bad.
    So, my dad got me dictation software. It's pretty damn cool. I've been using it ever since I got home today from school, and so far it's been really good. The only thing I can't figure out is how to click a link. I'm speaking rather fast and slurring most of my words, but this program is doing really well. In fact -- I am dictating this post. I commend it to switch from Instant Messenger to Safari, and even directed it to my bookmark for general forum. From there I couldn't figure a click the link, but just being able to do that is pretty good in itself.
    So, my question to you is: do you use dictation software? Have you ever? How would you rate it? Would you ever consider using instead of a keyboard?

Just so you know: the program I'm using is MacSpeech Dictate. If you have a Mac, and you needed as dictation software that works really well, I highly recommend it

PS: I can't figure out how to press the button for "submit new thread" vocally, but I'm sure there is a way.

2. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

thats is pretty sweet dude...ill probably buy it just to be lazy!

3. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

Ha ha that works, too, I guess.
    But, really I think typing is easier. You don't have to learn to speak for the program. Plus, there are some things that it simply can't do -- like click a link. Well, I haven't figured out how yet.

ysabel likes this.
  4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I've used it before, I think that no matter what dictation software you use then it's not going to beat a keyboard (as long as you know how to type well ;) )

I find it rather annoying to backspace while using dictation software.

I prefer a keyboard and mouse over any other method.

5. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I think that is pretty cool! =) My only experience with dictation software is through my work. I work as a medical transcriptionist and dictation software is our arch enemy, because it could easily take our job if if every becomes more advanced. A lot of doctors use the software, but of course it isn't 100% so doctors still have to go back and proof read the notes that the dictation software wrote out.

I have seen some of the work from doctors who use dictation (before it was proof read) and the examples I saw were really a mess!! Silly mistakes like Car Pool Tunnel instead of Carpal Tunnel. =)
    But then again doctors like to talk realllly fast and will not slow down for anyone! Ha!