• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Diaries of a pizza guy

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There is one lady that I deliver to named Erica. Erica is friendly, gorgeous and tips $10-$15 every time. Whenever I get back from an Erica delivery I always ask my GM if I can leave for the night because everything after Erica is just a let-down. :lol: There's nothing like a great customer.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I think if you don't have enough money for a tip, or don't want to give a decent tip because the pizza is already expensive, then you should order carry-out and go pick it up yourself instead of getting it delivered. It's not really fair to the delivery guy otherwise.
There are no pizza places near me and I don't have a car so it's not possible.

Also, it's way more common where you're from to tip than it is here. Restaurants for example, you guys say you tip a certain percent from the bill where as here you're more likely to put a few coins down with the bill.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
There are no pizza places near me and I don't have a car so it's not possible.

Also, it's way more common where you're from to tip than it is here. Restaurants for example, you guys say you tip a certain percent from the bill where as here you're more likely to put a few coins down with the bill.
If I remember correctly, lots of establishments in the UK actually put a note on their menus that tips are included in the price. I am not sure about fast food type chains though, but I know that is the case with the majority of restaurants there.

I always over tip, especially with delivery guys. I tend to go collect my own order most of the time, but if I do order for delivery, I give a minimum of 20%. And I don't have a 6 year old! ;)

Bliss

Sally Twit
That usually happens at fancy places in the UK. Places where I can't afford to eat so I rarely go to them.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
When I was a pizza delivery guy, we made minimum wage. No one except the managers worked anywhere close to full-time, so the tips really came in handy. A good tip back then (this was ages ago, mind you) was the change plus another dollar. A really good tip was the change plus two or three dollars, but that was almost unheard of.

I worked for Domino's when they still had the 30 minutes or less thing, but no one ever got a free pizza. I think it was 30 minutes or less or you got so much off your order; it might have been $3. They did not pressure us to get it there within the 30 minutes. I mean we weren't supposed to dilly-dally, of course, but safety was far more important than saving the $3. I worked for one of the biggest Domino's franchises, though; it might have been different at corporate stores.
Pam what's the one that is a chain in Michigan?
Jet's pizza. It is super yummy. I can't order out at places like Pizza Hut or Dominoes after eating their's.

Ok...so what is the standard for tipping for delivery? Is there a set % that is acceptable or expected? Everyone is answering differently...but what is average, and what is low, and what is considered high?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I usually give them three dollars, especially if they're fairly close to my house. Usually I'll tip a waiter/waitress more than that, but that's because I believe they give more service then a delivery person does(no offense to any other former delievery people) I think it's a fair amount.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I generally order a pizza every payday. I tip based on the guy. I either get a random dude, or a guy i recognize. I always tip the guy I recognize good. Mostly because the reason I recognize him is because he actually chats me up, and the pizza is nice and warm, and sometimes theres a bonus dipping sauce. Most of the other times, it's just a young kid. they just sluff around and barely say anything beyond the price. I still tip them, just usually as low as 5 bucks. The good guys, I tip like 10 bucks sometimes. They love delivering to me at like 1am, because usually that means I've been drinking with buddies and ordered a pizza late, and I've tipped 20 bucks one time while drunk haha.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
That's a pretty good idea, actually! It's nice to know that my tipping is noticed...and I would never condone something juvenile being done to bad tippers such as messing with their food. Everyone deserves good food. This seems like a decent system, lol.
bolded: The only thing I've ever heard of is a driver that works with me used to work at Pizza Hut and there was a driver there that used to work at Pappa Johns and he knew another driver that would mess with the food somehow. Its so far removed that I doubt it ever happened. I just get the idea that at least where I live, that kind of thing never goes on. Thankfully.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The best thing about driving around at night is I get to listen to Michael Savage. Rude, brilliant and hilarious. He talks a lot about food and one night he told a story about a friend of his that ran a pizzeria in NY. Savage said that his friend could not keep drivers b/c the drivers delivered to wealthy housewives and were constantly solicited. This would cause a 20 minute delivery to be a 90 minute delivery. I have never had this happen to me. Any other pizza drivers ever had an offer for sex while delivering?

MiloIsYum

Registered Member
I'm so glad we don't tip in Australia.

When I was in Canada for a couple of months, it took me a while to realise that you have to tip. I don't have any issue with tipping somebody for good service, but it shits me that it's just expected. I will give a shit tip if you give me shit service just because you expect that I'm going to tip you anyway.