• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Diaries of a pizza guy

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I used to have all sorts of problems when ordering from Pizza Hut. They were always getting the order wrong....even when I would order it online and it was filled out correctly. Pizza Hut also did that delivery charge thing.

Thankfully the new place I order from hasn't gotten anything wrong yet, and it is a small non chain type place. Actually, it's a chain in Michigan, I think...but it's the only one in TX that I know of. They are pretty awesome.

Anywho, I really would like to know what the standard tip is.
It must depend on the franchise, my Pizza Hut gets everything right and is typically well-timed and friendly. But that's considering that I usually just will order a pizza and some wings, or something small.

I just tip what my standard is everywhere, 20%. Sometimes I'll make it slightly more if it helps with getting change, I don't do it to the dime. I round up usually because I know how hard people in food service work for their tips.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Don't promise that the Pizza will be free if you don't get it in 40 minutes or less, then come up with an excuse when you come to the door five minutes late and don't want to give the Pizza for free.
Most places don't do that anymore. There was a lawsuit filed, can't remember where, and a delivery driver was rushing to deliver a pizza and collided with another vehicle. The restaurant was brought in because it was determined they were pressuring the delivery guys to get the pizzas in on time, thus they contributed to the negligent actions of the driver.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I deliver pizzas on the side... attached is a list I made up of thing that as a pizza guy is common courtesy in order to make things easier to deliver your pizza. These are things that you'd think are common sense, but as much as you'd like to think, pizza guys are not mind readers, nor are we super men.

1. If you live on a dark rural road and order pizza a lot, get a reflective house number along the road.
2. If you don't have a house number period, get one.
3. Turn your fucking porch light on.
4. If you're expecting a pizza listen for the door. We will leave if we can't reach you.
5. If you get an unexpected phone call and are waiting on a pizza, answer it. It's probably the pizza guy calling to get directions or saying he is at the door with no answer.
6. If you live in an odd location, give CLEAR directions to your house. Nothing sucks more then driving around for 10 minutes looking for a house.
7. When the pizza guy puts you on hold on the phone, we're not doing it because we're standing around with our thumbs up our ass. We do have other customers. When they say "Can you please hold" that means I'm talking to another customer.
8. Giving a pizza guy a $20 for a $19.75 order and telling him to keep the change is not a tip.
9. Pizza guys remember which houses do not tip.
10. Don't get mad when the pizza guy counts the money you just gave him, he eats the cost if you short him.
11. Don't spend 10 minutes digging for change. Have the money ready at the door.
12. If the pizza is late, again we have other customers too. We take them in the order they were received. Quite often 2 or 3 at a time. Again this is not laziness.
13. The time you are quoted for delivery is not exact. If we say a half an hour its because we may be dead at that moment. Then we may get 15 calls right after that obviously extending the delivery times.
14. Don't spend 15 minutes deciding what you want on the phone, figure that out before you order. When you call, we want to enter your order right away because there are other customers and/or deliveries waiting to be run.
15. If you have a large bill, tell us. Pizza guys carry at most $20 bucks. We make cash drops all night. I can't bring more then $20 unless you tell me first.
16. Don't send your 6 year old to the door to get and pay for the pizza.
17. Don't call and complain about the drivers on the road, no one at the store cares.
18. Pizza guys will go the extra mile if they know you tip well.

This is just a little insight on the world of delivering pizzas. I hope everyone here can benefit from this list. Enjoy your pizza ;)
Pro! I love you! I deliver pizzas on the side also. Sometimes 7 days a week, sometimes 1 day a week for me. I use it when I need a bump to get me through. I have a great relationship with my GM and he allows me flexibility.

16. Don't send your 6 year old to the door to get and pay for the pizza.

When I show up at the door and a kid is waiting on me it means one thing: There's not going to be any tip and the parents were too coward to face me. grrr...

My general rule for people that order pizza. The guy delivering to you might make enough in tips tonight to be able to afford the 2 pizzas and breadsticks that you just ordered. Don't be a jerk.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Most places don't do that anymore. There was a lawsuit filed, can't remember where, and a delivery driver was rushing to deliver a pizza and collided with another vehicle. The restaurant was brought in because it was determined they were pressuring the delivery guys to get the pizzas in on time, thus they contributed to the negligent actions of the driver.
One of the biggest Pizza franchise here in Canada does this, and so does a few other places around my area.

I think it's just stupid, for reasons that you posted above, and there's no real chance of knowning if the Pizza will actually get there in fourty minutes or less. That said, it's obvious that they do this for a selling point and to attract more people.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
The delivery charge is for gas. Most places provide their own transportation and thus it's the restaurant's gas. If you drive your own car they pay you mileage, usually a certain amount per trip. The delivery charge is to offset those costs. If you don't want to pay the delivery charge, pick up the pizza.
Orrrrr

I can buy from a place that doesn't have a delivery charge. :p

So let me ask this...does a pizza delivery person make the same as a waiter/waitress....or do they get minimum wage?

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Another thing pro said about remembering people that don't tip. Where I work when we log back in you can include extra comments. People who stiff get a -. People who tip well get a ***. So when a double or triple run comes up and I am planning out who gets their pizza when. ***'s get delivered first and -'s get delivered last. Sometimes by the time I get -'s pizza delivered its lukewarm, but that's the way it goes.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Orrrrr

I can buy from a place that doesn't have a delivery charge. :p

So let me ask this...does a pizza delivery person make the same as a waiter/waitress....or do they get minimum wage?
True, not all places have delivery charges:p

Those places typically aren't sit down restaurants though, so they don't have the overhead a place like Pizza Hut does.

They get pretty much the same as a waiter/waitress. Less than minimum wage.
------
Another thing pro said about remembering people that don't tip. Where I work when we log back in you can include extra comments. People who stiff get a -. People who tip well get a ***. So when a double or triple run comes up and I am planning out who gets their pizza when. ***'s get delivered first and -'s get delivered last. Sometimes by the time I get -'s pizza delivered its lukewarm, but that's the way it goes.
I was saying that earlier. When I delivered there was a group of students from China that ordered pizza ALL the time. I knew one of them just by name from school and every time they ordered, we would almost fight over who was going to deliver to them because they tipped huge. Their pizza was thus ALWAYS nice and hot.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
That's a pretty good idea, actually! It's nice to know that my tipping is noticed...and I would never condone something juvenile being done to bad tippers such as messing with their food. Everyone deserves good food. This seems like a decent system, lol.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
When I was a pizza delivery guy, we made minimum wage. No one except the managers worked anywhere close to full-time, so the tips really came in handy. A good tip back then (this was ages ago, mind you) was the change plus another dollar. A really good tip was the change plus two or three dollars, but that was almost unheard of.

I worked for Domino's when they still had the 30 minutes or less thing, but no one ever got a free pizza. I think it was 30 minutes or less or you got so much off your order; it might have been $3. They did not pressure us to get it there within the 30 minutes. I mean we weren't supposed to dilly-dally, of course, but safety was far more important than saving the $3. I worked for one of the biggest Domino's franchises, though; it might have been different at corporate stores.
Pam what's the one that is a chain in Michigan?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Pro, I was hoping you could answer a question for me related to all of this: At a place like Pizza Hut, when you order delivery, there's a "Delivery Fee" that's separate from the driver's tip. What is this for?
That goes to the restaurant, it's a charge for not picking it up and having someone deliver it for you. The driver gets nothing out of it.
What he said. We do get a small mileage charge per delivery, but most of the delivery charge goes to the store.
------
This is also true, although I tend to remember addresses more than anything. There are a lot of repeat customers that tip well. I always make sure they get extra dipping cups, toppings etc... and I also make sure it's the first one I run. There is a guy in town that always tips like $8 bucks for a large pizza, bread sticks and a soda. He likes extra garlic butter with his pizza. I don't even bother ringing it up, I just grab 5 or so and put them in the box for him.

Good tippers get the extra service. If you can't tip, go get it. Delivery is a service job, they work for tips.

Last edited: