DH-rule silliness

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now that's a weird situation to say the least.

The DH rule is a joke but the Players' Union would never stand for it being dropped, But in this case, its not the rule's fault but Maddon's for filling out the card incorrectly.

Error forces Sonnanstine to hit
Associated Press

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- An error on the Tampa Bay Rays' official lineup card forced starting pitcher Andy Sonnanstine to bat in Sunday's game against Cleveland. The Rays listed Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria as the third baseman on the card given to the umpires before the start of the game. Longoria was supposed to be the designated hitter. After the top of the first, in which Zobrist played third, the game was delayed 13 minutes as the umpires discussed the matter among themselves and individually with Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon and Cleveland manager Eric Wedge. The umpires pulled the Indians off the field midway through the delay. The Rays lost their DH position due to the error, meaning Sonnanstine replaced Longoria in the third spot of the lineup. Longoria was available to come off the bench.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I personally am a fan of the DH Rule, I wish both leagues adapted the rule. There's no way it's going to be dropped anytime soon.

Maddon should pay better attention, that's all.

I'm not a huge fan of the DH rule, but I'm not totally against it either. I actually like the fact that there are two leagues with different rules on that, gives us a chance to see a little bit of both. The thing I don't understand is they say the DH rule more tahn anything else is there to protect the American League pitchers, yet their ERA's are so much higher typically.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'd rather see a DH rule than have pitchers bat. To me, it just welcomes more hitting (which equals more dollars for teams!) and saves pitchers from injuries outside of roles they don't need to play.