Deus Ex 3

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
YouTube - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Reveal Trailer

So, my thoughts when watching this?

"Okay, don't get excited, it's only a teaser trailer, there's no gameplay yet. Wait until you see some before getting your hopes OH HOLY SHIT FUCK YEAH!"

I am seriously hoping this is a acceptable successor to the original Deus Ex. Alternatively, simply a good game. Here's what we know thus far;

Gameplay said:
While the previous two games focused on nanite-based augmentations, Deus Ex: Human Revolution will instead feature mechanical augmentations. Augmentations will be divided into four types: Combat, Stealth, Technology and Social. Every squad will have an identifiable squad leader that will direct the team's actions. If killed, the squad falls into disarray. Enemies will also react to subtle player decisions, such as a change in behaviour or weapons, etc.

Unlike Invisible War, the game will use different ammo types for different weapons, instead of unified ammunition. Weapons can also be upgraded to better suit the player.

In a controversial departure from previous titles in the series, Deus Ex: Human Revolution will use a regenerating health model. This change was made because the developers didn't want players to get into a situation where they were unable to progress due to low health, and would be forced to "scrounge for med packs." They see this scrounging behavior as breaking the flow of the game when one retreats to search the entire level for medical supplies. They believe their regenerating health model will still encourage tactical and strategy forming retreats, but not to the extent where the tension and flow of the game is disrupted.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is primarily a first person game, but will feature a contextual third person viewpoint when using the cover system or certain augmentations.
Plot said:
The game takes place during the year 2027, 25 years before Deus Ex. Nanotechnological augmentations have yet to be developed and biomechanical augmentations are the current state of the art. The main character, Adam Jensen, is a private security officer with a company that specializes in these augmentations. He witnesses a chilling attack on his company, and "the conspiracy begins." Adam Jensen will be voiced by Elias Toufexis.

Five metropolises are included and Detroit, Shanghai and Montreal have been confirmed.[10] In addition, the protagonist will have his own apartment where he may store his secrets and collected information. The events in the game will lead to the formation of UNATCO from the original game.
So, it sounds pretty good. I'm a bit on the fence in regard to the health system though. Because the previous games used medpacks you had to use to recover, you generally had to fight smarter. With DE3, I'm slightly worried that doesn't matter so much. But on the other hand, scrounging for medpacks when out was annoying and time consuming.

I guess we have to wait until E3 to find out exactly how it plays. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Poetosis

Registered Member
The original Deus Ex is probably one of the most defining RPG games of recent history, and a tough act that a lot of companies are trying hard to follow.

Regenerating health does sound rather blasphemous but, in this current age of gaming, it seems to be a necessity for gamers (not sure whether that is a good or bad thing for myself). There also will not be the same focus on stat points as the original in the new game either, which is a bit of a shame.

I still do not know what to expect, but if they pull of a Mass-Effect-like experience, then it could make for a very intriguing game.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
It looks very good, its on my must buy list.

It looks so good in fact that Square-enix has made that game engine their official one, called Luminous.

Last edited:
I hope it's more of the same of Deus Ex (1). I really enjoyed that game and had a blast exploring. The only thing that could make it better is if was tuned into a fully sandbox game where you can go miles upon miles instead of a few blocks and be halted by a wall until later missions. Having a Deus Ex game with a dash of Grand Theft Auto would be a winning combo in my book.

Thanks for the links, too~