• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multi-Console Det's Video Game Reviews [2015]

Konshentz

Konshentz
I know there's very few gamers left on here but I'm going to do this anyway. Whenever I finish a game this year, I'm going to give it a short review. I've just finished my first full game, so here it is...

Dying Light
PS4
M

Story:

The story won't blow your socks off and it won't win any awards. It is however good enough to keep you engaged throughout the 15+ hour main campaign (I finished in 14 & half hours, but that's without finishing a good number of side quests). There's a handful of good characters and while the main villain is somewhat cliched, it's not bad enough to sour the experience. It's also a lot darker than I thought it would be... even for a zombie game.

7.75/10

Graphics:

I thought the game looked pretty good. It definitely benefited from Techland deciding to bring it only to the [strike]next gen[/strike] current gen consoles, leaving the PS3 & 360 in the past where they belong. I only had one hiccup, where I got stuck halfway through a wall. But, that's a giant step of from the overall mess that was Dead Island.

7.75/10

Voice Acting:

If you compare this to Dead Island, which the majority of people will... then this is one of the bigger leaps from Dead Island to Dying Light. Dead Island had some very wooden voice acting and some of the accents were just brutal. They actually went out and hired a very good voice actor by the name of Roger Craig Smith for this game. He makes the experience a hundred times less painful. There are also a handful of others that do a great job.

7.5/10

Gameplay:

Dead Island on steroids is the best way to describe this. They took everything that was wrong with that game and fixed it. They also added a few things that were desperately missing. The main one being parkour. It's so much fun to bound around the zombie infested city like a superhero. Haha. There's also a day & night cycle and some pretty awful things come out to play when the sun goes down.

8/10

Overall: 8/10

Konshentz

Konshentz

Ryse: Son of Rome
XB1
M

Story:

I thought this was a very entertaining story. Nothing ground breaking, but I was engaged at all times and that's coming from a person who isn't a fan of the Roman Empire setting. I've always been fond of revenge stories and this is a pretty epic one. It's also fairly short, as I finished it in a little under 8 hours. I kind of like that though, as I don;t always need a game to go 25+ hours. Sometimes that more of a job than it is a hobby. Haha.

9/10

Graphics:

This looked pretty good. It's not running at a full 1080 (XB1 seems to struggle at that) but still gets the job done. Only a few minor hiccups here and there. One scene the character looked like he could've been from a 360 game. Some gorgeous set pieces as well.

8/10

Voice Acting:

All of the main characters did a very good job and all of the dialogue seemed fit the setting and time period. A few of the voices were somewhat annoying, but I have a feeling that was on purpose.

7.75/10

Gameplay:

This is the only part of the game I think some people might have a problem with. It's a hack and slash, with QTE executions. There's some variety in combat but not a whole lot. It never really bothered me, as I'm fine with doing something over and over as long as it's done right.

7/10

Overall: 8/10

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I remember watching a preview of Ryse: Son of Rome a while back and I thought it looked decent.

Never heard of Dying Light. Seems like there are so many zombie horror games now.

Anyway, thanks for the reviews.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Hopefully my next one will be Halo. After the brief break to beat Ryse, I'm back at it. Chapter (or is it Mission?) 6.

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
XB1
2011/2014
M

Story:

I thought it was pretty weak. There are only two characters that are worth a damn and one of those barely talks. I felt like I was completing objectives to reach the end of the game, not the end of the story.

5/10

Graphics:

Not bad for a 14 (10 at the time) year old game. I know this is an HD remake, but I've never found those to be very effective. If a game looks like shit, it always looks like shit. This one does not.

6/10

Voice Acting:

Meh. Cortona is the only one that doesn't stink up the joint and even some of her dialogue is cringe-worthy. I think I've been spoiled by the Uncharted and Arkham games. I find it very hard to get into something if the acting is horrid.

5/10

Gameplay:

The game gets very repetitive as it goes. I don't care if that's how they did it back then, seeing the same handful of rooms and hallways over and over is not good. The shooting was fine. The guns sounded great. Dealing with the Flood goes down as one of my worst gaming experiences though. Haha.

5/10

Overall: 5.5/10

Now onto Halo 2. I hope it gets better. Even the trophy/achievement whore in me is dreading this. Haha.

Konshentz

Konshentz

Assassin's Creed: Unity
XB1
M

Story:

First the Roman Empire and now the French Revolution, in the past these settings would've sent me running the other way but so far they've been the backbone of two great games I've beaten this year. I really enjoyed this game's story and I have to admit, I was shocked. The Assassin's Creed series has never been something that's interested me. This gives me hope. And like I said in an earlier review, I love me a good revenge story. This one definitely delivers.

8/10

Graphics:

This is a very pretty game. The environment, the characters, the cut scenes... everything looks really good here. I can't wait until they abandon the PS3's and 360's and can use the full horsepower of the current gen cosoles.

8/10

Voice Acting:

Top notch. I thought every voice actor game correct. There were no cringe-worthy moments and I really enjoyed all the accents and such.

8/10

Gameplay:

Sadly, this is the only place I have some real negatives. For a game that relies heavily on parkouring around the city and sword fighting, both of these are very weak. The controls aren't very responsive in either of these activities. Sometimes your character decides he doesn't wanna jump two feet to grab the ledge or he jumped the opposite way and you plummet to your death. The fighting is reminiscent of the Arkham games, where you can bounce from enemy to enemy, unfortunately Arkham is a solid 65% smoother. It's a problem but it's not exactly game-breaking either. Hopefully they fix this in the upcoming AC game.

6/10

Overall: 7.5/10

Konshentz

Konshentz

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
XB1
M

Story:

Meh. Pirates are pretty overrated and there wasn't a whole lot here that entertained me. Sure, it had it's moments but this story fell well short of Unity's. I guess they can't all be winners. And I really disliked the present day story in this. I'm not a huge fan of how these games are set up, with split storylines but at least Unity's was tolerable.

5/10

Graphics:

It's a last gen game so it looked like a last gen game. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm obvious going to compare it to Unity, which is unfair... seeing as I played these out of order. It did it's job. It wasn't wowing and certainly wasn't on the same level as The Last of Us (which came out before it).

6.5/10

Voice Acting:

Pirate talk is unbelievably corny. Whoever finds that shit cool needs to be punched in the throat. I was rolling my eyes every time any of the main characters spoke. Having said that, the actual actors and actresses did good with the terribe material they were given.

6/10

Gameplay:

This felt more like Grand Theft Pirate than it did the previous AC game I played. I play these games for a decent story and to assassinate people. Why the hell would I want to drive around in a ship for a solid 40% of the game. Awful, awful decision. I actually should go back and bump the gameplay rating in Unity up, because they fixed a lot of those things that seemed broken there. The parkouring and fighting is even clumsier in this one. How do you fuck up two of the biggest parts of your game? And how did this get better ratings than Unity? Nonsense!

5/10

Overall: 5.5/10

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Det, are you playing different games at the same time, or how long does it take you to start and finish a game? Are you planning on doing any more Halo games? After reading this review, I', curious to see what you would think of the others.

I enjoy your reviews - thanks for sharing.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I usually play one game at a time and then review it when I beat it. February has been a good month. Haha.

And yeah, I'll be beating Halo 2, 3 & 4 in the near future. Just got caught up with a couple of new releases right now.

Konshentz

Konshentz

The Order: 1886
PS4
M

Story:

A mixture of history and myth, with a dash of steam punk. You play as a member of The Knights of the Round Table and their mission to purge London of its lycanthrope problem. There are some twists and turns and the ending is left wide open for the eventual sequel. Even if a second game never comes, I like the loose ends it leaves. I'm tired of games getting tied up in neat little bows.

9/10

Graphics:

This game looks amazing. By far the best looking game I've ever played. The city is gorgeous and the character look incredible realistic, especially in those mouth watering cutscenes. It's a real treat for the eyes.

10/10

Voice Acting:

A superb cast. The voice acting in this games is on the same level as the Uncharted series and The Last of Us, the true kings of great and realistic dialogue. I was pleased with it.

10/10

Gameplay:

Critics are whining about the short length. I beat it in about 8 hours. For this quality of story, that is plenty. This isn't an open world game, so I don't need 25-30 hours. Anymore than this and I think it would've suffered. This is also a lot like a interactive movie. Lots of (beautiful) cutscenes, sometimes going for what seems like 5-10 minutes. I had no problem with this. The story is usually the most important thing for me. Shooting was good, stealth was tough but that's another positive.

8/10

Overall: 9.25/10