Detroit Tigers released Gary Sheffield

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Credit: Rotoworld.com

With 499 homers I'm sure Gary will find work somewhere else. But man that's alot of money to take on for a guy who won't even play for you.

Tigers released OF/DH Gary Sheffield.

The club will eat all of the $14 million Sheffield is owed for 2009. The 40-year-old hit .225 with 19 home runs and 57 RBI in 114 games last season. He missed time with a shoulder and oblique issue, but was thought to be fully healthy this spring. The move should open up more at-bats for Marcus Thames, and free up the DH spot in general. Sheff is just one homer shy of 500, but the Tigers' outfield became crowded Monday with the acquisition of Josh Anderson.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
He's definitely on the decline. I can see him getting work with a young club perhaps but he's not exactly known for being the friendly type.

Unstoppable

Registered Member
This surprises me in terms of the money side of things, but as for the baseball side of things it makes perfect sense, Sheffield will find work with somebody just so he can pass the 500 benchmark but im sure it will only be a one year deal or so, he'll be out of the league 2 years from now

Ryuk

Registered Member
Apparently the rumor is that Philly is interested, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds that surprising since he'd probably be better off with an AL team with the benefit of the DH.