"Detecting a lie"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RJ-Cool, Jul 7, 2010.

1. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Everyday we are faced with the decision to tell the truth or lie. From little white lies to nation-destroying omissions, lying has been around as long as the truth. And while lying has a rich history, the vast majority of humanity, almost all of the time, tells the truth. And why not? It is far easier, creates an atmosphere of trust, and facilitates a stable society. But every now and again, you get the sneaking suspicion that the person across from you isn't giving it to you straight.

So, how do you tell if you're being lied to? OR
    What are some of the signs of lying that you look for?
    What do you do when you discover/find out you've been lied to?

2. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

I love and respect honesty but I don't know of one, single person who hasn't told at least one little, white lie. Myself included.

I think I'm pretty good at detecting a lie when it's given to me; I can tell by body movements, in their voice and in their eyes.

I react on the lie if it's a big one; if it's small, I usually don't bother unless they snowball.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Sometimes it's really, really easy to tell, depending on the person. I can read my brother like a book, for example. I've watched him lie to my parents so many times that I pick up easily on the little signs he gives away. With other people, it's almost impossible.

Usually if I can tell someone is lying to me I try to think about why they would do that, rather than 'omfg what a lying ho'. Probably because I lie a fair amount myself (note: white lies, to certain people, and I'm guessing it's around an average amount) but it's always because I'm too scared to tell the truth or I don't want to hurt feelings. If someone is lying to me I have to try and assume it's because of that same motivation, and not because they're being two faced or sneaky etc.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I honestly have no idea when someone is lying most of the time. I'm really gullible, too. I'll believe most things you tell me, unless it's too ridiculous, or I know you so well that I immediately know it's a lie. lol

5. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

I'm pretty good at knowing when someones lying to me. I just seem to know.

My mum says it's one of my most annoying traits because I just used to pick people up on their lies straight away.

It's worse when it's someone I love though because as soon as I confront them and they get that look on their face ("oh shit I got caught out") my heart just sinks because I hate being right.

Ah well eh!?

6. hydronicrocker

hydronicrocker Registered Member

Join the police force? :p
    Yeah i hate when someone you should be able to trust lies to you, its heart breaking. Makes me crumble. I literally feel ill..

I doubt my own detections sometimes because I don't like to believe that they're really lieing to me :\

7. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I can usually tell when people are lying. They avert their eyes, shift their feet, have some type of twitch.

8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I'm not very good at judging people and emotions face to face. I only catch lies by knowing the truth, or knowing what they said was wrong.

9. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Registered Member

So, how do you tell if you're being lied to? OR
    If it's someone I know, I can tell. I don't really know how, I just can.
    If it's someone I don't know well, I can't always tell.

What are some of the signs of lying that you look for?
    I don't know that I really look for it. It's like catching a glimpse of something- you weren't really looking for it, but when you see it you know what it is.

Though there's this one guy at work who sometimes calls in and says he wont be at work. I do listen for lies, but only because he's lied to me twice.
    And I've noticed that when he calls in and lies (the ones I have found out) he has given long, detailed reasons for why he wasn't coming in. He just seems to talk more when he's not telling the truth.

What do you do when you discover/find out you've been lied to?
    Depends on how well I know the person, their reason (or why I believe) they're lying, whether the lie is actually harmful to anyone or just a bit of simple embellishment, etc.

10. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I can tell from the sound of their voice, from their eyes, from the way they talk.
    Usually their voice trembles, they don't look in the eye, they speak with a low voice, their sentences don't make sense, there's a lot of contradiction in what they say because they don't remember what they said a minute ago.
    Also, if I ask them about something, it happens that this question may have gone beyond their predictions and they don't know what answer to give.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    RJ-Cool likes this.