Dessert 3.0

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by ysabel, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

So this is the third thread about dessert today. :lol:

How do you treat desserts at home? Is it something you have regularly or is it something only for special occasions? When you were a kid, was there a time when you weren't allowed dessert as a punishment (maybe for not finishing the main meal or something)?

Basically, is dessert a treat or part of the meal?

Over here, it's a regular part of the meal. It's not something we save for occasions. A complete meal would always have a dessert, whether at home or outside. It's not a treat although it is usually the favorite part of the meal for kids. We usually have fruit yogurts or flavored cream desserts.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

My family never really has dessert as part of the meal except on special occasions, like holidays and birthdays. I usually just get my own dessert a few hours after dinner, like ice cream. Mmmm.

3. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

We would have dessert after the meal. Usually the dessert is a pie or a cake with some ice cream.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

But do you do this for every meal and daily? We have it for every lunch and dinner, daily.

5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

LOL

There's a similar one on this one too. :p
    Although it's geared mostly towards restaurant type questions:
    http://www.generalforum.com/food-recipes/dessert-54880.html

Anywho, I'm not a big dessert person, so it's definitely not incorporated into any meals for me. It's normally just holidays or special occasions.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Haha, that actually inspired this thread. I just remembered that for some, dessert is more an option to take (instead of opt out) and and extra thing. I talked to my friends who also have kids and they don't really give desserts unless it's a treat. Mine get them but not because we want to treat them. We just have a culture that it's part of the meal. The default is it's present and you just opt out of it.

7. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

When I was a kid, we used to have dessert everyday, but we were only allowed it if we finished our main meal. But now it seems to be only for special occasions. My waistline isn't complaining though :lol:

8. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

My family doesn't really do deserts. We have them on special occasions, but definitely not everyday. Everyone is welcome to get a bowl of ice cream or something on their own though after dinner.

9. ancredelamour

ancredelamour Registered Member

I alllllways have dessert. Whether its cakes cookies puddings tarts, whatever. I bake a lot, so there is always sweets around for after dinner tea.

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

We usually have dessert once a week at a random time usually when we're going to watch a movie together or something. We also have dessert on special occasions such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc.

I remember when I was a kid and dessert was taken away for being bad. That doesn't happen anymore though :lol: