• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Despicable Me Gmail Fail

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
For April 1 this year Google added an optional "Send" button to the Gmail feature. It added Despicable Me gifs to the end of each letter. Thats totally cool ifs only friends or family stuff but people were accidentally hitting that button on important business mails (lol?) and people were losing their jobs.
Google disables April fool joke amid user fury after prank backfires

Grow up Google?
Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oh god, what a horrible thing to do to people. Hope no one actually got fired because of it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I heard about this...and wow, that's really bad. Can you sue for something like that?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ha ha, never thought about that but I bet they can.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The ultimate April fools gag would be to counter an April fools with an overreaction. So Google does an April fools and you come back with, thanks Google I got fired. Probably not the case but that would be great.

thealigator

Registered Member
What I fail to understand about this is how it is a prank. I am not an advocate of pranks, I don't see the funny. As someone who is deeply paranoid and worries almost constantly someone pulling a prank on me is basically just adding more and more stress onto me I don't need. Those people can go away. But, the main point of a prank is that it is played and then after a period of time the person who has had the prank pulled on them is told of this, words are exchanged, usually a laugh over a coffee or a pint and life moves on.

In the case of this "prank" you don't know it has happened unless you were fortunate to realise what you had done and quickly correct it by going into your sent items and sending it again. My understanding of this is that you do not receive any replies to the email you sent to the recipient and you only know this when they call you or send a different email asking why you haven't contacted them and if they were not expecting said email why would they?

This is bad form Google, you may have stopped it but surely you could see how stupid this was?