Designer babies..

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by AngelsPeak, Dec 9, 2009.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

If you had the chance to choose your childs gender, coloring and other traits. Would you?
    Is it ok to do so?

I have no problem using science to reduce the chances of birth defects or hereditary diseases, but I think it's ridiculous taking it much farther than that.

2. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Yeah, I agree. I would use it to do the same... And maybe make my baby a redhead. But only because we are dwindling!

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Absolutely not. I don't want to sound like a hippie or anything lol, but I'm already worried about how much we're moving away from nature. I know everything is moving forward and evolving, but if we eventually take away everything that's as beautiful and natural as what we are born with, then what's left of our roots and how do we know who we are any more. I think we'll loose ourselves if more and more things like this became possible. Birth defects/hereditary diseases, yeah I can see that.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree, I don't have a problem with preventing hereditary diseases and birth defects but don't agree with going beyond that. No I wouldn't do that.

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

No, I would not go for a designer baby simply because I do not need to. Boy/Girl it makes no difference, blue eyes, brown eyes, red hair who cares, as long as it is human and healthy the rest would make no difference to me or the baby.

Is it okay? No, I dont feel it is okay, it would disturb me if society reached that level of vanity or need. not so much the scientific implications but the socilogical ones.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

whatever features come from the baby to me is ok. i only wish for all the babies to be born healthy and that's all that matters.
    doesn't matter gender or other things that to me look capricious.

7. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I wouldn't want to pick any of those things. I'd just want my baby to be healthy. I don't know if I'd even want to know the sex.

8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I don't see an issue with it. "Defect" is a pretty vague term. At what point does a lack of natural intelligence or athletic ability become a defect? Our opinion on that would seem based on what is common or average, which would of course change in process of removing defects. So over time you would see strength, intelligence, good looks, etc; creep upwards while always just removing "defects". Also, looks can provide someone with a clear benefit/disadvantage just as strength or intelligence, or having four limbs instead of three and a stump. So it seems arbitrary to favor interference in the name of one as opposed to another.

Now would I want to custom-design any kids I had? To a point. Eye-color and hair-color don't really matter to me, nor does skin color or gender. Though, if I had the option of ensuring any kids I had were smart, athletic, and good looking in general; I would intervene to those ends. I suppose we can call that the elimination of "birth defects", if we like.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. Nick-Aotmzgin

Nick-Aotmzgin Registered Member

nah i am 100 precent positive my kids will look beautiful!

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree but it's nearly impossible to stop people from doing it once the technology is made available to the public. In my conspiracy theorist mind, I can see a potential rift many years in the future where "normal" kids are at a disadvantage compared to the designer babies.