Designated Hitter

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

A lot of people like the DH rule, but there's as much of people who hates the rule.

The Designated Hitter rule was adopted in 1973. The designated hitter, like other experimental baseball rule changes, was in part the brainchild of A's owner Charlie Finley, though National League president John Heydler had informally proposed the rule in the 1920s. It was used first in Spring Trainning games in 1969. Ron Blomberg was the first DH player.

Now I was wondering what you think about the DH rule and why? If you don't like it, would you reconsider if both leagues had it if yes why, if no why?

Discuss.

2. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I personnaly like the Designated Hitter rule. I don't think you should risk injuring your starting pitcher by making him go to bat 2-3 times a game. Plus I beleive that your best hitters should come up to bat all game. When the pitcher hits it's almost an automatic out everytime. I know some people hates the Designated Hitter because it makes the coach think a little bit more then he should by stratergizing his line-up. But I still think beleive it was good idea.

3. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

^^^I extremely agree with you. I mean, why risk getting your pitcher hurt by making him bat. What happens if he gets hit in the hand? Or if he pulls something while swinging? Or if he sprains an ankle while running to first? I like the DH rule.

4. Babe_Ruth

I totally agree, I like the DH Rule, I believe it makes the game more entertaining, it makes it more challenging. What I mean by makes it more challenging, just take this for an example, if the bases are loaded and it's the pitchers turn, then the pitcher won't be nurvous, and he'll probably strike him out, but if the bases are loaded for David Ortiz, then the pitcher wil be afraid to make a mistake, and he'll think more about his pitches that he'll throw to Ortiz.

I wish the National League had the DH rule as well, I believe it would make the league better.

5. SloWalk

SloWalk Guest

The DH has been talked about for years before 1973. I believe it was 1st voted on around 1911. They first wanted 2 designated hitters in the game, one for the catcher as well. In 1931 or so, I think the NL voted for the DH and the AL voted against it. I would prefer to see David Ortiz bat vs. some poor slob SP but, would we have the Babe? It has changed the game significantly and I feel for the worse. I would like to see either both NL and AL use the DH or neither.

6. natnsoxfan

natnsoxfan Guest

Its not just the risk of injury for me. When I pay top dollar to go see a big league ball game I want to see the best hitters hitting, and the best pitchers pitching. I don't want to go to a game and see a guy with a career batting average under .200 and whose lucky to get 100AB's in a season at the plate, I want to see the guy who gets paid to hit the ball at the plate, not throw the ball.

7. Babe_Ruth

I totally agree with you, it makes the game that more competetive and interesting. like you mentioned you pay top dollars to see the best from 1 through 9, and you want the pitcher to concentrate on pitching and not hitting, and most of the time the pitchers do come up to bat, they strike out, or they hit a sacrafice bunt.