• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Desert Island Discs Experiment

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Anyone up for a little experiment?

I'm sure a bunch of you know what the concept of 'Desert Island Discs' are.

Yet, for those that don't:
Basically, it's a concept in which you choose a set number of songs that you would choose over all others if you were trapped on a desert island. Songs that you think you could put up with indefinitely.

-
In this little experiment, in which honesty and commitment are key, I simply propose a two day stint in which after stipulating five songs you would choose for this situation you spend those 2 days listening to nothing else -
And preferably on days when you will have plenty of chance to listen to a lot of music.

Once those two days are complete, and you've had a more or less constant rate of listening to what you chose - those that have participated come back to whatever thread - This one, or a separate one - and give feedback on whether they reckon their choices were the right ones. Or whether such a concept of a desert island disc is something they could never get on with (i.e. need more than just five songs) -

So what do you reckon? Anyone up for this little challenge?
If so, say so - I'll add all the names in this post -

^That was the original exercise, however the 'two day' rule is now over with. Instead. Participants still pick 5 tracks, and simply (and honestly) submit how long they went just listening to those 5 - As a competitive element, I guess the person who goes longest wins, although, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

People currently up for it:
Me
xBubblesx
Impact
Ginock

Last edited:

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I like this idea, but I'm not sure how long I'd be able to listen to the same 5 tracks without pulling out my hair, but I'd definitely be down to give it a shot. So, if you ever get this thing rolling, count me in.

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah I'd be in. I've got some 20 minute long songs, so they'll make things a little easier. And there are a couple songs that I listen to on repeat for days anyway.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am a little worried about this as I listen to a lot of ska-punk etc that doesn't tend to last very long but otherwise count me in - could be larff :D

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
BUMP

Right, so there's 3 people interested in it, and me.
Don't know how far we'll get with such a small grouping --

I'm quite willing to give it a shot - if others are then that's cool. Will probably hang about another day before I ask for folks to submit their 'desert island disc' - 5 songs, they couldn't do without. And then say a day after they are in, it'll begin in which the only songs we listen to are those 5. -- for two days.

If anyone else is interested. Nudge me.

Impact

V.I.P.
Thinking about it, 5 songs for 2 days is going to be pretty hard going, especially as I listen to music most of the day, but i'll still give it a go.

Started making a playlist of possible songs so I can cut it down to five when we start it

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I'm on it now. Gonna actually delete everything off my MP3 player, and only stick the 5 I pick on it.
I'm wondering if anyone will break the rules though...

Impact

V.I.P.
I think if we break them, we should have to post how long we made it. Perhaps even rather than doing two days, see who can go the longest.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
That's a good idea. Especially since I wouldn't feel so much like a bossy bastard imposing this rule, which is pretty redundant since I'm just gonna be going off what people say.
I reckon folks would actually be honest with such a rule. Although, with only 4 in this at present chances are it'll be no big deal - Although, I do like tests and look forward to the outcome.
So, yeah - cool nod, those rule make sense - Will update the OP - Cheers Imp... even gladder of my choice in MotM now :D

Impact

V.I.P.
No problem. Should we post the 5 songs we're listening to in here, just for interest of others? Right now i'm trying to figure out whether I should go with songs I love so don't mind repeating, or longer songs. So far I have my playlist sitting at just over 40mins for 5 songs with a mix of genres too