• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Deron Williams traded to Nets in 3 way

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Utah has agreed to trade All-Star point guard Deron Williams to Nets in multi-player package, Yahoo! Sports has learned. Deal is done.
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Favors will go to Jazz with Harris, two first-round picks. Nets wlll send Troy Murphy to Golden State, and Warriors send Gadzuric to Nets
This trade is huge. Deron Williams definitely wasn't wanted in Utah anymore, that's the only reason why he got traded away. He's a bigger distraction then I thought it seems. Should be interesting to see if he'll be able to change the Nets fortunes. Him and Lopez together is a pretty good combo.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm not really familiar with the players involved; what were Williams' issues with being a distraction? Off of the court behavior, I guess?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't heard much details, but he's supposedly the reason why Jerry Sloan stepped down for the head coaching position a few weeks ago. Deron Williams has been considered one of the best point guards in the league for the last few years, some even called him the best last season. His behavior is the only reason why I think he got traded. He was their franchise player.

BigBob

Registered Member
He was not the reason Sloan stepped down. Like Williams said, if Sloan had a problem with someone, he'd tell them to knock it the fuck off before he let it get to him. I think people wanted a reason and they made Williams the reason. No one knows the real reason.

To me, neither team wins in the trade.. yet. Favors is a great prospect though, and Harris is an All-Star.. but we'll see who the winner is if Chris Paul leaves the Hornets next year to the Knicks. If he doesn't, the Nets lose because Williams will opt out the next year and head to the Knicks.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's a reason why they traded Williams two weeks after Sloan stepped down, I don't care what anyone says he's the main reason that Sloan left the orginazation. Like I said, I can't back up my statement, but all the rumors are swirling around Williams, and now he gets traded.

Why would they trade one of the best point guards in the league? He was their franchise player, he gave them a better chance to win. Also I'm not sure you know, but Sloan signed a contract extension a week before stepping down.

If you put everything together, the finger definitely is pointed at Williams, and if Sloan comes back after this season, then that will prove me right even more.

BigBob

Registered Member
But there is no proof that Williams is the reason. If it wouldn't have become public them him and Williams had an arguement, then no one would be pointing the finger at him. I don't care what anyone says, Williams isn't the reason Sloan stepped down. I don't have any proof either.

Williams previously said he wanted to be traded. He said this back in the off-season whenever all the Melo' rumors were floating around.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Can you back up your comments about Williams asking to be traded earlier in the season? The only thing I heard, which he said a couple of days before the All-Star game is that he wouldn't mind going to the Knicks when his contract runs out. Not once, did I hear him say he wanted out of Utah.

The reason why I'm blaming Williams for Sloan's departure is because I'm just connecting all the dots. Let's look at few things here:

-Utah has been struggling in the last 10(3-7)
-Jerry Sloan steps down a week after signing a contract extension
-Rumors swirl that Williams is a distraction and butted heads with Sloan
-Williams gets traded two weeks after Sloan steps down
-Williams was their franchise guy, I'm sure they much rather have Deron over Harris
-Williams is known has one of the best point guards in the league, and has been for the last few years.

That to me points to Williams being a distraction in the locker room.

BigBob

Registered Member
Before the season started their were rumors that he wanted to go to the Knicks with Amare.

Just because you can line up everything doesn't mean it's exactly what happened. All you know is what is public and not what actually happened behind closed doors. Sloan and the owner got into an arguement that same night that him and Deron had an arguement, so how do you know the owner didn't say step down or we'll fire you or do you like to, like you always do, skip over other things that happened just to point out when you believe.

We both have an opinion, nothing is fact about the whole situation. Period.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
How do you explain them trading their best player, and one of the best players in the NBA? They've been looking for a franchise point guard since John Stockton retired, Williams was that guy. You do anything you can to keep Deron Williams, unless there's any issues going behind close doors.

BigBob

Registered Member
Well I would just like you to show me where Jerry Sloan or the Jazz owners have stated that Deron Williams is the reason Sloan retired. You keep saying your opinion is why Sloan retired and it isn't because nobody knows why he retired.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T NBA 0
Babe_Ruth NBA 1
StroShow NBA 16
Babe_Ruth NBA 12
K NBA 0