• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Derek Jeter reaches milestone of 3,000 hits

Comet

Registered Member
Derek Jeter has become only the twenty-eighth player in MLB history to reach the milestone of three thousand hits.

Congratulations to Mr. Jeter on this tremendous accomplishment. When his baseball career concludes he will certainly be in the conversation of one of the greatest shortstops of all-time.

Derek Jeter became the 28th Major League Baseball player and first New York Yankee to reach 3,000 career hits with a home run in the third inning against the Tampa Bay Rays Saturday.
Derek Jeter reaches milestone of 3,000 hits | Reuters

Wade8813

Registered Member
I was really surprised when I found out he's the first Yankee to reach that plateau.

When you say "One of the greatest", I hope you mean like top 10-20, and not top 3 or so...

Don't get me wrong, Jeter's great and all, but I'm so tired of him being overrated. On the flight to Vegas on Friday, I was reading an article about how he was about to get to 3000, and I think Mattingly was saying Jeter is the best Yankee ever or some such nonsense.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Never been much of a Jeter fan due to my hatred of the Yankees franchise but this is a great accomplishment.

He's one of the more overrated defensive players in the history of baseball but this isn't about that. Congrats Derek.

Comet

Registered Member
He's one of the more overrated defensive players in the history of baseball
Overrated defensively? He's a 5-time Gold Glove winner. Personally I wouldn't consider that overrated.

While I may not be a big Yankees fan I can't overlook facts.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Congratulations to Derek Jeter, I've always been a fan of is. He works hard, and leaves it all on the field. I would probably rank him the fourth best Yankee(position player) behind Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle.

Can make an argument of having Joltin' Joe in front of him though.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Overrated defensively? He's a 5-time Gold Glove winner. Personally I wouldn't consider that overrated.

While I may not be a big Yankees fan I can't overlook facts.
The fact he is a 5 time gold glover is WHY he's overrated as a defender haha. The reason he doesn't make errors is because he doesn't have range and doesn't get to as many balls :lol:

But like I said, I don't want to turn this into a hate thread on Jeter. He's a World Champion and a true professional and will go down in both Yankee history and baseball history.

Comet

Registered Member
Congratulations to Derek Jeter, I've always been a fan of is. He works hard, and leaves it all on the field.
Indeed. Another aspect of his game that separates himself from many other players is his performance in the playoffs. He raises the bar for his game and excels once the postseason commences.

Combine that with his exceptional hitting and phenomenal defensive play and you have one of the best shortstops to play the game and a true Yankee legend.

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Combine that with his exceptional hitting and phenomenal defensive play and you have one of the best shortstops to play the game and a true Yankee legend.
Agreed. While I may not exactly like the Yankees very much, Jeter's achievement is one of the most remarkable of the year in any American sport. He put himself among the legends in pinstripes.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm not a Yankees fan but I am a Derek Jeter fan. I don't think he's overrated, he's been a consistent hitter and defender throughout his career and he raises his game in the playoffs.

I'm happy for him for reaching this milestone.