Depression Sucks

gmanlink

Registered Member
Hm. A question that has been nagging the most for the past few months is why I'm so depressed, or rather moderately depressed.

I find that the stereotypical answer would be adolescence, but I find that hard to believe considering it being such a primitive answer.

Yes, I may be over looking into this, but I'm not satisfied with that answer; it's too broad/general.

What aspect of adolescence causes depression? Is it family issues? Friends? Personal if not sexual relationships? Or is it simply a desire for attention?

As a teen, I'm often daydreaming about one day being separated from society, thrown into a new world, etc. etc. The typical "hero" stories that are rampant throughout movies, songs, and comics. But these daydreams range from happiness to depression.

I know that the reason why I'm thinking these thoughts may be due to some subconscious desire for attention, which I may have, and this may be reflected in my personality; outgoing, kind-of-guy-that-makes-you-go-"That guy's such a total retard... I bust my sides because of him," etc.

My question is, is there a way to suppress my need for attention? Maybe not completely, but to the point where I stop having these frequently occurring, distracting daydreams.

(People say that teens are usually depressed because they haven't matured. What is maturity for an adult? If a teen displays this maturity and this depression I've described, what is the "true" answer?)

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
What you're going through may be normal for your age [or at any age].
Attention may not be related to age at all, rather it depends on the circumstances you live.
Every aspect of adolescence may cause depression, it depends which aspect you miss the most/have problems with.

I don't think depression is related to maturity rather it depends on what you're going through.
Sure, being an adolescent is not easy and YOU THINK everyone around you doesn't understand you or YOU THINK you need more attention...or ...maybe YOU THINK you are depressed.

Daydreaming could be normal. I wouldn't call it a depression. I used to daydream a lot when I was at your age, but I don't think I could call it a depression.

Teenagers have this tendency to see things in a hyperbolic way so I'd suggest you to take it more easy.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Hm. A question that has been nagging the most for the past few months is why I'm so depressed, or rather moderately depressed.

I find that the stereotypical answer would be adolescence, but I find that hard to believe considering it being such a primitive answer.

Yes, I may be over looking into this, but I'm not satisfied with that answer; it's too broad/general.

What aspect of adolescence causes depression? Is it family issues? Friends? Personal if not sexual relationships? Or is it simply a desire for attention?

As a teen, I'm often daydreaming about one day being separated from society, thrown into a new world, etc. etc. The typical "hero" stories that are rampant throughout movies, songs, and comics. But these daydreams range from happiness to depression.

I know that the reason why I'm thinking these thoughts may be due to some subconscious desire for attention, which I may have, and this may be reflected in my personality; outgoing, kind-of-guy-that-makes-you-go-"That guy's such a total retard... I bust my sides because of him," etc.

My question is, is there a way to suppress my need for attention? Maybe not completely, but to the point where I stop having these frequently occurring, distracting daydreams.

(People say that teens are usually depressed because they haven't matured. What is maturity for an adult? If a teen displays this maturity and this depression I've described, what is the "true" answer?)
Depression hits people of all ages for many different reasons; it can be hereditary, it can be caused by medication, it can be something going on in your personal life, etc, etc.

If you think it's your subconscious yearning for attention you must figure out why this is happening...(which I'm sure you've already thought of doing / have done). Your mind may be reacting in a different kind of way than your body because of something that had happend? For instance, when someone close to you dies, you may react differently than others, rather than crying, you may laugh instead or get other people to laugh because in some way it makes you feel better. Now, as much as that may sound disrespectful to the person who passed and their family, I assure you it's not, it's just each person has their own way of dealing / handling stress / loss / pressure, etc. in their lives. You may be the kind of person who when depressed masks their feelings by being silly or "the class clown", etc.

Do you have anyone you can talk to about how you're feeling?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I am sure there will be members here that disagree with me on this, but depression really is a chemical imbalance in your brain. Some are more prone to it than others. Personally I am a supporter of chemical help in the form of drugs when it comes to depression. Anti-depressants are my friends! But that might just be me. I am not reliant on it all the time and only take them in small doses when I feel the need to.

That said, I also don't think that depression is something that should go untreated. It could potentially be very dangerous to keep everything inside. Speak to someone about how you feel. You are not the only person going through this.

It sounds to me like you and me have a lot in common actually. I day-dream every single day without fail, and this at the age of 29! I think everyone does a little in some way! Also, I am quite the attention-whore myself. I thrive on peoples approval. This, imo, is also extremely normal. Everyone needs the approval of their friends, family, lest we feel like an outcast, which in itself is depressing.

I don't think you need to worry about anything here. What you are going through is completely normal, regardless of your age, gender, blah blah! All I will say again is that you should speak to someone if you ever feel that the depression is getting the better of you!

yourwebcrafter

Registered Member
Hi there gmanlink!

I am new here so hope my jumping in here and talking is okay. Curiousgirl is right in many cases, a majority in fact depression is a chemical response. There are many different hormones and other chemicals in your body that send message back and forth between your brain and different areas. Teenagers and the elderly tend to have increased rates of depression or anxiety due to the amount of changes taking place inside your body. Does this make the problem any less important, or less dangerous? Absolutely not! It could even be the result of a physiological problem, one of your glands such as the Adrenal, or Thyroid glands could be producing to little or to much hormone. Having a simple check up at your family doctor and letting them know you have felt a bit under the weather lately is a really good thing to do a lot of times.

Feelings of separation or loneliness is not unique to any age group, as a matter of fact the main reason that the Internet is so popular, why we are in places like ere at generalforum is due to this very reason.

So your increased daydreaming, feelings of isolation, or loneliness are normal, you are not alone to be sure. Though it definitely does feel that it is something that is heavier on us than it seems to be on anyone else, believe me, a lot of others around you are feeling the exact same way.

I would like to recommend a few things if you don't mind.
First go to your parents, or a teacher, the school counselor and let them know what types of things you are feeling. It is very important to let others know how you feel, how will we ever find out that others really do/have feel the exact same way if we don't communicate?

Secondly, going to your family doctor is a good idea. It sometimes can be something as easy as a vitamin deficiency that can make us feel a little less than others.

Thirdly finding extracurricular activities to take part in is an excellent way to combat the feelings of loneliness. Schools often have programs like Band, Acting, 4-H Club, Sports, Religious Groups, chess club, shop, all sorts of things, I am sure my list is a bit out dated but you get what I am saying :) If you are not opposed to religion then joining church youth groups is an excellent place to meet people and be able to interact with others.

I do hope some of this helps, and perhaps even makes you feel a little better...do not hesitate to PM if you just want someone to talk to.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I am sure there will be members here that disagree with me on this, but depression really is a chemical imbalance in your brain. Some are more prone to it than others.
and that would be me disagreeing with you. Depression can be helped by medications that regulate brain chemistry, but it's not entirely accurate to say that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. The imbalance could be caused by the depression, no on knows for sure. Also recent studies are suggesting that chemical intervention isn't always best. Long term depression rates have actually climbed in the years since the introduction of Prozac and other SSRIs, despite widespread use of these meds.

No to the OP, dude, being a teenager is fucking hard. You're experiencing a wide range of emotions related to increased responsibilities, changing hormones (which can also have a huge effect on your emotional state) and you don't really know where you belong and how you fit in. You're just figuring it all out. It sucks.

Instead of suppressing your need for attention, could you find an appropriate outlet for it? Join a club/group/after school activity that you enjoy with other kids your age with whom you enjoy spending time?

And if nothing else, just find something that makes you happy and hold on. The teenage years will be over before you know it, then you'll turn around and you'll be a young adult. This too shall pass.

Come here and talk to us, too.

gmanlink

Registered Member
Hypothetically, what aspects of your life do you think would have to change before you could put the depression behind you?
I have a few areas in mind, but I don't think changing them would do any good, and this is thinking optimistically.

... Sure, being an adolescent is not easy and YOU THINK everyone around you doesn't understand you or YOU THINK you need more attention...or ...maybe YOU THINK you are depressed.

Daydreaming could be normal. I wouldn't call it a depression. I used to daydream a lot when I was at your age, but I don't think I could call it a depression.

Teenagers have this tendency to see things in a hyperbolic way so I'd suggest you to take it more easy.
I have no doubt about that, adolescents having the "tough" life, generally as Jeanie pointed out. I don't think that everyone doesn't understand me, I know because I never give, or rather the opportunity never appears when those around me which to understand me.
Honestly, I wish I don't want attention, yet my subconscious tells me that I do. In addition, I think depression as sorrowful thoughts about my life and extrapolating based on those thoughts future events (Thus, taking up a pessimistic view toward the future). I sometimes succumb to this depression, but they more or less happen when I have these daydreams.

I can assure you that I abhor those teens that exaggerate their lives. It's a pity that American teenagers have fallen to such a low standard, but that's biased considering I'm only basing this off my city. However, one must admit that teenagers back in the mid-twentieth century were much better in terms of manners, etiquette, and possible intelligence than those of today. I always try to avoid any of these stereotypes.

I am sure there will be members here that disagree with me on this, but depression really is a chemical imbalance in your brain. Some are more prone to it than others. Personally I am a supporter of chemical help in the form of drugs when it comes to depression. Anti-depressants are my friends! But that might just be me. I am not reliant on it all the time and only take them in small doses when I feel the need to.
Yes, you're right technologically speaking. Yet these chemical imbalances are stimulated by external influences, for example personal feelings, anger, etc. But even drugs aren't the solution. Drugs can lead to addiction.
Yourwebcrafter does support you in that drug can be the solution, but they often have side effects that more often forces one to avoid taking them. For example, my mother took anti-depression pills, but she felt so "restless" or "unmotivated" to do anything. I'm not really describing the side effects properly, but it's generally what happened.

There's a study, I'm pretty sure it was conducted in Britain, about how the primary agents for hallucination in marijuana "helped solve" many victims of long term depression. They often described it as a unique experience where they suddenly see connections with others and suddenly finds a desire to create a close relationship with their loved ones. I don't remember how they set up the apparatus, but so far the experiments have all been very successful. The experiments have been continuing for about 10 years as well.

In response to yourwebcrafter's suggestions, I don't really have any close friends that I can really talk about myself. I'd rather not even talk to my family that much either. There's sort of a mis-communication between us, in that my mother doesn't speak English very well, but speaks my homeland language well, while the opposite applies to me.

I avoid drugs at all costs. I keep myself healthy. I exercise, eat healthy foods. You know, the works. I highly doubt that something that's happening to me physically can cause a chemical imbalance in my brain, thus inducing depression.
Then again, I have Tuberculosis, or rather inactive TB. I've forget constantly to take the pills I'm supposed to take everyday in order to force this virus into dormancy for a longer period, else the chance of me dying from it increases by 1-5% every year, according to my doctor. But I highly doubt that would result with a chemical imbalance. The fact is disturbing to me, but I've realized that we're all going to die so this doesn't bother me. It hardly every does, so I never get depressed by it, ironically. :p

They say that extracurricular activities do wonders. Yes. Assuming you have friends that you may socialize and hang out while you're doing this activity.
For example, track is refreshing for me, but it would be even more so if there was someone I could really talk to, but I never try considering that doing so would lower everyone's state of happiness. (I consider others first before I consider my well-being). So I just carry on running without talking, random thoughts floating through my mind.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think that wanting attention is part of being human. We are social beings, we would not have survived as a species if we were not social creatures; it's only in recent years that it has become physically possible to live with minimal contact with other people. I don't believe that it is psychologically possible, though.

gmanlink

Registered Member
Well, theoretically it is possible to live with people through the internet, but the experience would be the ghost of what it would originally be.

The way to truly live life is living truly to oneself.